Niggling Problem

dazza39 09:20 23 May 03

I have WIN98SE on my PC,when i switch on everythings boots up fine,however recently when i go to the start menu and click on it,i get a black square appearing like someones cut a piece out of my desktop,this then forces me to shut down and boot again???,i have tried most things like scandisk,registry check etc,no obvious faults there,i even tried re-installing windows and its still there,i'm at a loss,any ideas???.

keith-236785 09:29 23 May 03

do you mean after your start menu shuts that you are left with a black square, if so pressing f5 should refresh your screen, it might help but it aint a very good solution. hane you tried updating your graphic card drivers, that might help. sorry i cant do better that this. you said you re-installed windows, do you mean over the top of the old windows or did you format and start from a blank h/d, if you formatted and you still have the problem then it would point to a Hardware/Driver fault. if you installed over the top of the existing windows then i would suspect a Software problem, still possibly graphic card drivers. wait a while mate and see if anyone can offer better help.

dazza39 10:33 23 May 03

No its once my PC fires up,and i go to do something that's when it starts,other times its okay,i don't know....

vinnyT 11:38 23 May 03

Have you tried the system file checker, if not,

Start\run\sfc this will check your system to see if any files are missing/corrupted/invalid. You do need your original os disk for this to work. Hope this helps.

dazza39 11:42 23 May 03

I'll try that tonight when i get home,thanks

dazza39 10:49 27 May 03

I know this post is closed,i have now sorted this problem,seems my anti-virus that i had installed wasn't doing the job so i changed for another,and low and behold when i ran i had a KAZZA worm virus,lurking in my PC,now thats gone everything is running smoothly again.
The lesson to laern here make sure you have Anti-virus,lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…