Nice easy Wireless Network Questions!

Dearersteak 12:34 31 Jul 03

Hi all! Ok, Nice simple one for ya today i hope! Basically, My dad wants an internet connection in the garage so he can research parts, without having to walk all the way up the garden to the house to use the PC. So... I've pulled out there old dusty IBM thinkpad Laptop, Installed XP on it (and believe me, it won't be setting any speed records). Not at the moment, I've just plugged them in via a cross over cat5! Not parts we're needed as both machines had network cards! So this enabled me to download all the Xp service pack, and something like 34 other updates, which took all of forever to install! But now i want to put the laptop in the garage, and dew to the extreme weather here, (i'm staying in new jersey in the US at the moment where my dad lives) We can't run a cable without digging a 3 foot deep trench because of the harsh winter. So the next best step, would be to go wireless.

Now i'm a veteran of cabled networks, and have had a lot for practices, But this is the first time i've gone wireless. No the cards i'm looking to buy are both 2.5Ghz cards, But i noticed that are house phone is the same! Is this going to be a problem? Will they interfere?

Secondly, I only intend on a network card for both machines! that is to say, no hub/router/switch (the desktop is supplying the broadband connection! Trying to keep it all as cheap as possible!

All and any input about the subject is more the welcome! Thanks!

Dearersteak 14:00 31 Jul 03

The other thing i ment to mention, was that are nieghoors are running a wireless network to! If they cross over, can i encrpyed are network? What other sulltions are there to this problem

PS, Sorry about all the typo's, But its still to ealry!

Dearersteak 16:07 31 Jul 03

Hmm, ok, questions must'nt be as easy as i had hoped! ANY input is welcome! Please! Got to set this network up in a matter of hours!

If speed is not an issue then use the 802.11a standard which uses 5mhz frequency - less chance of interference from other devices. Range is fine and you should have no problems apart from the more walls you go through the less signal strength.

You will need a card for the laptop and an access point for the desktop or a PCI card - total cost around £100.00 or so.

All cards offer a software setup and encryption of some sort. Set a decent network name and password is enough for most but full security is acheived with the use of registered MAC addresses - unavailable from XP alone.

Dearersteak 16:37 31 Jul 03

these are the to cards i had lined up for the desktop and notebook!

Note book - click here

Desktop - click here

Tell me what u think!

And out of interst... How far can u get the two apart befor the singal is lost? (assuming there are no wall to impare the signal?)

John-259217 16:55 31 Jul 03

You should not have a problem with the house phone, quite a few bits of kit operate in this frequency area without interfering with each other. There is the potential for it admitedly, but if your using reputable manufacturers products you should be ok.

As for the neighbours network you will see it show up when you set up your adapters (if the signal is strong enough), simply choose a different channel number and a different SSID(name) and enable WEP. The first two will separate the two networks, the last will encrypt the data sent over them.

I would be more concerned about the range of the wireless equipment in your situation.

How far apart will the adapters be?

Are there any walls, floors, trees etc in between them?

The maximum range of upto 300 feet will only be achieved under ideal conditions I find 75 to 100 more realistic.

It may be better to use USB adapters attached by cable and located higher up than would be possible with a pcmcia card.

This is just a brief explanation, if you need more after reading the manuals post back or do a search on the site, the subjects cropping up more and more lately (see latest poll):-)

Good luck.

Dearersteak 17:00 31 Jul 03

well, i measured it out,... and it was something like 132 give or take 20 feet! (did'nt have meters of the tape measure), But other than the two wooden walls, theres nothing realy in the line of sight!, and there both on desks, on ground level! (if that makes sences)

John-259217 17:07 31 Jul 03

click here

This previous thread may be of interest, however I`m affraid I still hav`nt tried the 54G kit:-(

Dearersteak 20:23 31 Jul 03

ok, well, I got the parts about an hour ago! Setting up was ok. had a few teething problem, but they were to be expected! But its working now, Hence how i am able to sit in my kitchen typing this message while eating lunch! ( Its 3 o'clock here) But even know i'm only a few rooms away, the connection is only running at 1Mpbs. But my biggest Bug, that my PC is right next to the door that leads into the garden, But as soon as the direct line of sight from machine to machine is lose because of a wall, the connection goes for excellentt, to low. and by the time i get half way down to the garden, i lose the connection completely! And considering that's where i want the laptop to be base, it kinda defeats the object of going wireless in the first place!

If i can resolve it, I'll take the parts back, And get a refund, and find another way! But is there anything i can do to get the signal down to the garage???

fitshase 21:30 31 Jul 03

Try a couple of things first before taking the kit back:-

(1) Try selecting another channel number for the Wi-fi network. It may just be the case of one channel is no good.

(2) I notice that you are located in the kitchen. Things like the Microwave could be causing interference or have some effect on the signal.

(3) Unplug the house phones (the cordless ones running on 2.5Ghz) and see if that makes a difference.

If you are still getting no joy, ask the neighbours who have a wireless network installed if you can see what distance they get and then you will know that it is your kit.

Regards

Fitshase

Dearersteak 23:35 31 Jul 03

well, At the moment, the phone is in the repair shop! so thats not a facter at this point! I was in the kicten just because i had had lunch! And i think the microwave was unpluged dew to lack of power outlets. Normaly the laptop will be located away from there! But i will give the channel idaer a go!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…