Nicam / Mono VCR Sound Problems

Inigo 14:38 09 Jan 03
  Inigo 14:38 09 Jan 03

Hi all,

Okay, so this isn't exactly computer-related. But it is tech-related...

I'm having some problems with compatibility between TV / VCR sets. My parents have just bought a new widescreen and Nicam VCR. I have their old TV, hooked up to a fairly new Mono VCR.

When I play a video recorded on my parent's VCR on mine, I sometimes (Possibly always. Haven't tried too many tapes yet) get the sound of the program on the tape previously. Watching Stargate with The Simpsons audio can be interesting... :)

When I play the same tape on my parent's VCR and TV, no problems. Anyone got any ideas on this? Do I need to get a Nicam VCR too?

--Mike Peel

graham 14:45 09 Jan 03

You could try recording on your parents VCR with a blank tape. Their new VCR is not over-writing the part of the tape which has the audio from the old machine.

Djohn 14:53 09 Jan 03

As graham says, this will be down to the difference of a Mono and stereo head reading/writing to different parts of the tape itself.

Inigo 14:59 09 Jan 03

So I need to have a Nicam VCR to be able to play Nicam-recorded tapes then?

Djohn 15:05 09 Jan 03

Not necessarily so. You will need a stereo vcr to hear the tape as recorded in stereo, but you should still be able to watch/listen to a stereo tape on a Mono player.

I feel sure it will be down to head alignment, most vcr's will auto adjust for this, if yours does not, then try manual tracking adjustment on your vcr. Regards J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…