NFREN out of range

john-232317 09:03 20 Dec 03

Hi Guys, my friend has just set up new computer, all she gets on flat screen monitor is NFREN out of range. any ideas much appreciated.

Not sure of full specs, but on XP pro

AubreyS 09:14 20 Dec 03

Good morning dadyassa.

Normally you get that message when the monitor is not receiving a signal from the PC. Try checking all connections and if there is more than one video input on the PC try swapping.

Good luck.

john-232317 09:20 20 Dec 03

Good morning, i thought that might be the problem, i will pop round and have a look. Not used to these new fangled monitors, but dont they look great..

Jester2K II 10:26 20 Dec 03

Is it a TFT (flat screen) or CRT (TV type) monitor?

powerless 10:31 20 Dec 03

When you start the computer tapp the F8 key and choose SAFE MODE from the menu.

Right click your Desktop, Properties...Depending which graphics card you use change you screen resolution to one that the moniotor agrees with.

Your trying to use a too higher resolution that the moniotor cannot support.

Gongoozler 10:36 20 Dec 03

I found what an NFREN is,click here. The "Out of range" message usually means that the graphics card is set to a resolution/refresh rate combination that is not compatible with the monitor.

Gongoozler 10:38 20 Dec 03

An at NFREN.COM click here

Q-7) It does not display on screen within [Out of Range] indicator.

a. After reboot computer, go to safe Mode.
- Push the bottom [F8], when you reboot the computer

b. [Start] -> [Settings] -> [Control Panel] -> [Display] -> [Display Properties] -> [Advanced Properties]

c. Setting up the monitor recommendable resolution and screen frequency. (Graphic Card)

- Recommendable resolution / Frequency.
15" : 1024 X 768, 60Hz 17" : 1280 X 1024, 60Hz 18" : 1280 X1024, 60Hz

powerless 10:39 20 Dec 03

I know ;-)

john-232317 15:02 20 Dec 03

Thanks for all your help guys, sorry for the late reply but i had to go out.

I went round and checked all the connections were tight etc, followed the colour codings and vague drawing, still no good.

She said "little round things to this" or words to that effect, and phoned the shop.And while i was out they sent a techie round within 30 mins. He looked at it and said oh that wire should not be there, and took out the audio lead from PC to monitor,( she had separate speakers plugged in ) and hey presto, sorted. But as they had sold her the package don't you think they should of told her she did not need to use that lead, especially as it caused a major problem....;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…