Next question.

mgpillay 14:11 08 Jan 08

I've got my wireless router working (Thanks to some helpful folks here!). One of my laptops is working fine on it, too.

I now need to connect an older laptop ( a SHARP PC-GP1515) to the network.
Is there a specific type of USB network adapter that I need to purchase? Or are these universal?

The laptop runs WinXP Home SP2.

Thanks
M

MAJ 14:21 08 Jan 08

They're basically universal.

mgpillay 14:22 08 Jan 08

Thanks.

Is there any way to determine whether my USB ports are 1.0 or 2.0 or whatever? I suppose those would have to match with the USB adapter?

woodchip 14:29 08 Jan 08

They will not all work with your router. I found that out when using a PCMCIA card, and a USB dongle to connect to my router. But I did get one Dongle to connect. Same make as router. you are better if you can get same make

cream. 14:33 08 Jan 08

" Is there any way to determine whether my USB ports are 1.0 or 2.0 or whatever? "

you can tell if you have any usb 2.0 ports by going to device manager, which is right click my computer / properties / device manager and opening the usb tab. if you have an enhanced controller listed, you should have usb 2.0 on some or all of the ports.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

mgpillay 14:42 08 Jan 08

Im not sure...it's a "Mobile AMD Athlon XP 1500+ Processor 1.30 GHz, 496MB of RAM.

cream. 15:35 08 Jan 08

Is it a branded computer e.g. HP, Time, Dell. If it is post the make and model number.

If it's an unbranded computer, try SIW for free @ click here. It should tell you the make and model of the motherboard and if you have USB2.0

mgpillay 16:03 08 Jan 08

SHARP PC-GP1515

cream. 18:41 08 Jan 08

Of course it is, you mentioned it in your first post:(

I can't find much about the SHARP PC-GP1515. have you run SIW or looked in device manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…