New/Old Design ?

roygbiv 09:28 07 Nov 07

I have been asked to help with a web site problem (or design a new) I am NO web desiner, but will try my best.

problem 1 - Website has been corrupted (by a spotty teenager in Poland, no offense Implied) now that site is null and void, but records of files May be obtainable (some how)

problem 2 - when designing a website, how can you view it with out uploading it ?? (may be simple, but you dont know if you dont ask!!)

Marko797 14:55 07 Nov 07

Roy, on point 2, u can (or should be able to) preview in the programme to the best of my knowledge. Might depend what software ur using. Look for a Preview key. I use WYSIWYG Web Builder and I need to be connected to the internet to preview, but this isn't necessarily true with all progs.

Forum Editor 17:49 07 Nov 07

I'm not sure how you know that the Polish teenager is spotty, but it's irrelevant anyway. If the existing site is still being hosted somewhere you'll be able to login to the server using some FTP (File Transfer Protocol) software and transfer everything to your own computer. Then at least you'll have an archive copy of what's there, corrupted or not, so that's the very first thing to do.

If you have no previous web design experience you're taking on quite a task aren't you - is this a commercial site, or just someone's personal site?

Do you have any WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web design software, and if so, what is it?

yes, you can view a site before publishing it to the server - all decent site design software has the ability to show you the site in your browser, so you can see what it's going to look like on the web.

Provide the answers to my question, and anything else that might be relevant, and we'll take it from there.

CodeMeister 18:38 07 Nov 07

If the website consists of simple HTML pages, CSS and graphics etc then you may be able to enter the address into the "Way Back Machine" (click here for the address) and retrieve at least some of the code before it was "corrupted".

roygbiv 21:19 07 Nov 07

Now, the emmbrassing bit.

I use HTML alot,Photoshop/ photoplus, got Serif page plus (thinking I will be better off with something like Dreamwever, fireworks, flash).
Plus use help from PCADVISOR !!!

The site has recently gone absent - type it in and "cannot find server" shows up time and time again (not just me, every PC I have tried).

It is a small boat club website, so will need updating regularly.

Forum Editor 00:05 08 Nov 07

the files may still be on the server, and if you have the FTP login details it's worth taking a look.

There's no point in paying out for Macromedia Flash if there re no Flash files in the site - I recommend something like NetObjects Fusion, but by all means go for Dreamweaver if you feel comfortable with it.

A common reason for sites suddenly going absent without leave is payment disputes between site owners and web designers, and in view of your earlier "spotty teenager in Poland" remark I'm wondering if that might be the case here? If it is it will probably be quite easy to fix, once you have an FTP access. The simplest way to disable a web site on the server is to rename the index file. If a web browser like Internet Explorer doesn't see an index file it won't load the site. Alternatively, the server itself may be down, but if the hosting company is in any way professional that situation wouldn't apply for long.

roygbiv 15:35 08 Nov 07

Looking in to it. Learning curve "very steep!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now