Newly installed CDRW drive causing PC to crash

Ben Chuud 14:59 23 Mar 03

PC is a PII 400 with 128SDRAM (Win98 SE), has a DVD ROM. It also had a separate CDRW but due to an accident ( whilst the tray was open, knocked it and damaged it). Bought a new Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW Drive LTR-48246S and installed it after taking out the old one.
Technical Data of the new Lite-On CDRW is:

Speed:
48x CAV Write CD-R
24x CAV Rewrite CD-RW
48x CAV Read CD-ROM Speed

Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE, support up to Ultra-DMA Mode2 (33.3MB/sec)

Software came with it was Nero. Tried installing the software and had a hiccup and ever since unable to access Windows. Keep getting the blue screen and then on reboot it goes into safe mode.
In Device Manager, removed all the disk drives, BIOS shows there are 2 Disk Drives but that's it.
I dont have a start up disk. A friend has a windows98 boot up disk, shud I boot up with it and would it fix the problem or do I have to format the hard drive and start all over again. If I dont respond, forgive me as I am calling from work now. Thanks

Rayuk 17:06 23 Mar 03

Did you uninstal the software from the previous cdrw??if not do so in safe mode.

Ben Chuud 17:17 23 Mar 03

Yes, I did uninstall the software for the previous cdrw

Rtus 17:58 23 Mar 03

your old unit used Easy Cd /direct Cd ???

Ben Chuud 18:30 23 Mar 03

Yes, it did

woodchip 18:42 23 Mar 03

Go into CMOS when you start your computer and auto detect your drives

Rtus 18:54 23 Mar 03

You may well find That the drivers and folders for adaptec are still on your drive (even if you use the Add/remove programs from Control panel) use explorer to see usually under programs folder..Its also possible that you would need to search the registry for any instance of Direct cd /easy cd/Adaptec.Please back up your registry first though..It can be awkward to rid yourself of easy Cd ..but it can be done .However As nero has been added You may need to uninstal that too first find and delete the adaptec files/folders and registry entries ( regcleaner ) then install the Nero.

Ben Chuud 05:02 25 Mar 03

Rtus,

Only just saw your message,Thanks for your advise, will give it a go and revert how I get

Ben Chuud 17:37 02 Apr 03

Taking it to PC World to check out and fix

Rtus 18:02 02 Apr 03

May I suggest when its fixed you invest in Drive image 2002 to clone your system with ..It should then cut out the visits To that place..It will pay for its self in no time at all.. Do let us know how you got on...Good luck ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…