Newly installed Avast

Daiol 09:46 19 Jul 08

Hi,Just installed avast yesterday and this morning the blue ball in the system tray is spinning like mad,does that mean that its scanning ?.another item when i left click on the ball i get a box come up and resident protection there are two choices normal or high what would be the best to set to.Thanks.daiol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:29 19 Jul 08

Ball spins when scanning

Good levels :-
On access Control-
Instant messaging - custom
Internet Mail - High
Network Shield - High
Outlook/Exchange - High
P2P - custom
Standard shield - High
Web Shield - High

Resident Scanner - High
Local disks - Standard Scan

Daiol 11:47 19 Jul 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\,Thanks for that info,but maybe you will think i'm a bit thick can you please explain to me how do set these settings you set out for me to follow?.thanks daiol.

rdave13 11:55 19 Jul 08

The ball spins when it's creating a database for VDRB. If a virus gets through then Avast has the ability to repair a damaged or infected file; "VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRDB is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now." I have set VRDB to run only when the computer is idle.
If you hover the mouse pointer over the 'a' icon in sys tray it will show that the scanners are running.

ste76 13:29 19 Jul 08

I read the computer will use more resources at High level. So unless you have a fast pc, i suggest leaving the settings at default 'Normal' level.

rdave13 23:50 19 Jul 08

To adjust scanning settings left click on the 'a' icon in sys tray. Window opens and you can manage settings on emails, IMs, P2P etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced