Newly built system, won't reboot properly :(

Jaymz87 17:54 02 Jun 05

I just finished building my new computer a couple days ago, and have noticed that when I choose to restart the computer thru Windows, it won't restart. Sometimes it won't even shut down.

It usually shuts down OK, and then the screen goes blank, so I assume its not a direct Windows problem, as then it would not even shut down, the screen goes blank, the power is still on, there is no signal going to the monitor.

Would it be a problem with the graphics card? I am running:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ "Winchester"

Graphics Card: Inno3D GeForce 6600GT (PCI Express, not SLI yet)

512Mb RAM

And all the usual stuff.

Any ideas?

TIA, Jaymz

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 02 Jun 05
  Jaymz87 17:15 03 Jun 05

ok, i dont think i explained the problem very well :P

Windows shuts down fine, and when I click restart, Windows still shuts down, but then my computer gets back to the bit where it should be loading the graphics card details (GeForce 6600GT) but instead, there is no signal going to the monitor and there doesnt seem to be anything else happening, as there are no beeps. And it won't do anything until i either hit the reset button or switch the power off and on again.

Its not a huge problem, but a major annoyance when I leave it to restart and come back to find its stuck on a blank screen :(

Hope thats a clearer explanation of the problem.

Completealias 18:19 03 Jun 05

Could be something to do with power management.

Jaymz87 15:43 06 Jun 05

by that do you mean power management in Windoze or in the BIOS?

and what sort of settings could need to be changed?

picklsey 16:23 06 Jun 05

i have the asus sli deluxe 3500 winchester 2 6600gt cards,and had the same problem i changed my my psu and the problem has gone.allthough the psu that came with the case was 480watts it was a cheap one bought a blue storm 500watts put it in 4 days ago and now my pc boots up first time.hope this helps.

picklsey 16:25 06 Jun 05

also meant to say the colours are a lot better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…