newly built pc issues

Tonper 10:41 05 Apr 04

Ok heres the problems I'm having maybe you guys can help me out.

1. The main problem is random reboots after starting CPU/RAM intensive programs. It was doing this faster before I replaced the Heat sink now it will wait till I start the heavy program to reboot. The CPU temp never seems to get over 42C.

2. I cannot get my PC to do anything with the floppy. In the device manager it shows it there as working but anytime I try to use a floppy proven on other machines it doesn't work. Cannot format or anything. I wanted to be able to use a bootable disk to do a RAM check.

PC stuff:
Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 3200 mhz 400FSB
MB: ASUS A7N8X-X
RAM: 1 gig
heavy duty heatsink
400 Wat PSU
Ati all-in-wonder card 128mb

Any advice will help please.

gudgulf 11:01 05 Apr 04

For the floppy drive---try reversing the ribbon cable connector at the drive end.It's very easy to connect this the wrong way round and it wont work if you do.

gudgulf 11:35 05 Apr 04

If you think you have a heat related problem then try taking the side off the case to allow more cold air into the case.If this cures the problem then you need to make sure any case fans fitted are working and air flow through the case is not obstructed by the mass of cables etc inside.If you don't have any case fans then consider fitting some.

I beleive you suspect the ram though,so try reseating the modules.Also try fitting one stick at once and see what happens,one of them may be faulty.If you have any other pc's with known good ram you could "borrow" a stick and see if that solves it.

961 12:02 05 Apr 04

Check in BIOS to see no temp protection setting set too low. The temp you suggest is ok but is temp sensor fitted correctly to correct mobo pins

Is fan actually working ok.

Is heatsink paste ok

Is PSU duff even if new

Loose cables?

Extract fan at back of case and extract fan in PSU ok?

Ensure fan at front if fitted is set to intake air

As above, try one memory stick

vinnyT 12:17 05 Apr 04

Make sure the fan on video card is working, assuming it is not onboard graphics or passively cooled.

Tonper 21:58 05 Apr 04

Thanks guys I'll look into those.

Indigo 1 22:13 05 Apr 04

Also make sure the fans blow in the right direction, it's very easy to get one the wrong way round.

Indigo 1 22:15 05 Apr 04

My best guess would be a cable problem, either not seated right or wrong way round.

Do you have BOTH motherboard cables connected ?1x20 way and 1x4way (P4 connector)

woodchip 22:19 05 Apr 04

Check in the BIOS to see if it's set to recognize a 1.44mb floppy disc on the first page

Giggle n' Bits 00:26 06 Apr 04

Also if you go back into your BIOS is the date/year and time still all set ok ?.

Just incase as said aboue really
IDE 1 = HDD should ber ok but other drives CD/DVD Wrtr align all the cables with the usally red line on edge of Ribbon cable line up and plug into Pin 1 the end to the HDD and other drives
But not the Floppy have the red line facing the towards the Molex power plugs on the drives themselves.

Floppy drive is different there is usually a round cylinder shape on the rear of a floppy. This is the way the red line should face.

On the motherboard all should be aligned to Pin 1, the motherboard manual will show you where the pin one is.

Tonper 04:01 07 Apr 04

Floppy issue fixed. It was a bad drive.

RAM isn't the issue with the reboots. Have tried other ram and reboots continued.

Checked the voltages on the 12v and it was going up to 12.992. I'm not sure but I think thats high. I went and picked up a new 450w PSU and it seemed to fix the problem. I was watching a DVD and running [email protected] Not sure if you know what [email protected] is but it is hard on the CPU and was one of the programs that would reboot the pc before. It didn't reboot after running for like 10 minutes. The 12v was staying at a solid 12.66. Is this still high? I shut these things down and started a game called Everquest. Didn't even get into the game fully before reboot. Not sure what to think now. Everything except for Everquest works. Haven't tried any other games yet but I'll be giving them a shot later tonight.

I'm currently running a RAM burn in program. As soon as thats done I'll better know the status of the RAM.

Let me know what you guys think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…