Newly built

ace121pk 09:59 12 Dec 03

i've just recently built a new PC using an ASRock K7S8XE mother board and an AMD Athlon XP +1800 processor running at 1.15Ghz.

i used the harddrives from the old system, built it all up and started the machine it got as far loading up windows XP and then a blue screen appeared and the PC froze. so i then installed winxp on the secondary slave drive its loads up perfectly but it repeatedly restartd showing the same blue screen which appears for around 1 second,

what could the problem be?

james55 10:15 12 Dec 03

I recently had the same problem when I replaced the motherboard and processor. If you think about it windows would get mixed up with such a large change.

I went down the route of using the xp disc to do a repair. When windows reloaded it would not start until I phoned in to activate it. I had no problem with this but a lot of problems still existed.

I bit the bullet and formatted the hard drive and did a clean install and touchwood has been working perfect ever since. I was then able to activate xp on the Internet this time.

ace121pk 10:18 12 Dec 03

hmmm... i think i'll go down the same route, format one harddrive and install windows again, thanks for the idea,

i'll leave the discussion open for another 2hours

Mike574 10:53 12 Dec 03

I've built quite a few computers over the last few years and would recommend you format your hd and do a clean install of XP. One of the main reasons for the blue screen is that XP will be using the wrong drivers for your motherboard and a clean install should correct this. Also I noticed you said your cpu is running at 1.15Ghz but I believe an 1800XP should run at 1.53Ghz. Hope this helps.

Gongoozler 11:12 12 Dec 03

Definitely a good idea to make a clean installation of Windows. You can sometimesget away with the old installation, especially if the chipset is similar, but a clean installation is much safer.

As for the processor clock speed. 1.15 x 1.33 = 1.5295. I think you probably have a link to set the CPU frequency to 100MHz or 133MHz, and you have it at 100, whereas it should be at 133.

ace121pk 00:54 13 Dec 03

how do i change this? by the way i've done a clean install of WinXP but i'm missing outlook express and when i click on the 'new email message' link MSN messenger nothing happens

igr 01:03 13 Dec 03

Go into the BIOS set up (press delete on boot up) Check the settings for the FSB - change them to 133mhz (Page up/down) Save on exit, That's it

hugh-265156 01:06 13 Dec 03

is OE listed in start/all programs?

multiplier will be changed either in your bios or via a jumper on the mobo,refer to your manual.

Gongoozler 07:20 13 Dec 03

From the manual (click here), page 12. You have 2 jumpers, alongside the memory slots, near the edge of the board, FSB_SEL0 and FSB_SEL1. You have to set these to suit the FSB speed of your processor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…