newby wireless problems

lewis88 19:13 04 Mar 06

i have a belkin modem with built in router, model number f5d7630-4a and i have it connected to my laptop and desktop wirelessly. my question is how do i use the built in modem instead of my current modem and how do i set up the pc and laptop to connect to it wirelessly. cheers. lewis.

lewis88 19:16 04 Mar 06

when i say "conect to it", i mean to connect to the internet via the modem with router

ade.h 23:45 04 Mar 06

Are you still trying to use your existing modem?

Here's how to set this up:

1) Uninstall your USB modem (from Device Manager) and any related software (from its uninstall command or via Add/Remove Programs).

2) Plug in the router via the RJ45 Ethernet cable.

3) Open a browser; type 192.168.2.1 into the address bar.

4) enter the config utility; navigate to "Connection Type" under the heading "Internet WAN".

5) Enter all the required fields; protocol, etc.

6)Hit OK to confirm.

7) Go to LAN Settings under the heading LAN Setup; enter a workgroup name.

Now run the Network Setup Wizard on each PC, using your previously chosen workgroup name.

Then you need to know about security.

ade.h 23:47 04 Mar 06

Follow this only when the wifi network has been successfully established:

1) Enter your router’s config page by typing the IP address into your browser. This is 192.168.2.1

2) In the Wireless section, go to Settings and SSID. Change the SSID to something reasonably unique, like “My Wifi Network”. This achieves two things; it stops anyone from identifying your brand of router and it makes your network more obvious to you among those of your neighbours.
You can turn off SSID broadcast if you wish, but this sometimes causes pick-up problems with some devices.

3) This is the biggy; click on Security. From the drop-down, select WPA with Pre-shared Key (WPA-PSK). Now you need to pick a key, and it had better be good; a long mix of upper and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols, such as ydfPH9456#45=?ekny5834cbr. Make up your own and write it down for use later. When you are ready to connect a wireless PC for the first time, you will be asked for this key. It will be stored from then on, but keep a note of it anyway.

4) This is a bit more complex; click on MAC address filtering. Now, on each PC that uses your network, go to Start, Run and type in “command” without the quotes. In the box that has appeared, type “ipconfig /all” - without quotes, but with the space. Look for the MAC address and make a note of it. Once you have the MAC address of every PC, go back to your router’s config page and select “allow” from the drop-down. Now enter those MAC addresses by clicking on New MAC Address. If you later want to allow more devices onto your network, follow this procedure again.

5) Under the Firewall section, select Policy. It should already be set to typical. If so, leave it that way; if not, select it.

6) Go to Utilities and select Remote Management. If ANY of these boxes are ticked, untick them. By default, they will not be ticked.

7) In Utilities, select System Settings. This is where you set a password for the router’s config page. I cannot emphasise just how essential this is!! Enter a password that will be impossible to guess and tricky to crack with a password generator; it does not need to be as sophisticated as your WPA key, as you’ll need to type this password occasionally. Again, make a note of it.

ade.h 23:49 04 Mar 06

By the way; the principal wifi settings are in "Channel and SSID" under the heading "Wireless".

lewis88 12:59 05 Mar 06

thanks for the in depth info but i cant find the second the walkthrough on the "network walkthrough" link.

lewis88 13:01 05 Mar 06

oh iv'e just realised it was an advert, cheers il have a go at it now.

lewis88 13:25 05 Mar 06

ok iv'e just tried it but theres loads of codes i dont know, so il just get someone from belkin to install it.

ade.h 15:57 05 Mar 06

What do you mean by "lots of codes that I don't know"?

lewis88 20:28 05 Mar 06

theres so many codes its asking me for. its asking wether my connection is pppoe or pppoa, and i dont know what mine is. and its asking for 2 dns codes that i havn't a clue about and the router will not apear as a modem at all. cheers for your help but i think i'm out of my depth.

ade.h 21:00 05 Mar 06

That's all standard info that your ISP can and should provide to you as a matter of course, back when you first signed up. All modems need this info.

Contact your ISP and request this info, and in the meantime, you can try the most common options, which are:

PPP over ATM (PPPoA), a VPI figure of 0 and a VCI of 38.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…