From newby. Qu's re 2nd hdd fitting

Ghloria 13:56 29 Jan 03

I need some reassurance with respect of buying and fitting a second hard drive, as I have not done anything like this before.

This is as I believe to be how it is....I don't have to worry re compatabilty, my system doesnt have a second HDD connector but all I need is a "Y" connecter, I dont see anywhere to put the HDD (the present one is mounted vertically behind the cases front panel ) but this will become plain when I get the HDD. Installing is no problem.

PCWorld used dabs.com to build the system recently (I only have the first part ), I take it therefore that this a reasonable -lace to buy components.

Glow

stlucia 14:11 29 Jan 03

Don't be put off -- installation is really quite simple. First you need the physical space to place the new HDD -- they're standard size and fixing holes, so look inside your case to make sure there is a vacant space. If there's only a bigger space available (usually for CD or DVD drive), you can buy spacer brackets so that your HDD drive will bolt in properly.

Then, as you say, you need a y-lead for the data and another one for the power. You may already have the data lead in your PC because its not really a Y -- just a second plug crimped onto the ribbon lead 1 to 2 inches away from the end of the lead. You should already have spare power leads within your case -- most power supplies come with more than you need for a basic setup.

Then, once the HDD is in, you might need some help in formatting it. But post another thread and I'm sure someone will assist.

TECHNODIMWIT 14:15 29 Jan 03

click here
this is the type of lead you require.

just make sure second hard drive is set to slave via the jump plugs.

normally hard drives are fitted flat or verticaly with the connections upwards. you just need to find space for the second drive.

format dirve and away you go easypeasy

Ghloria 14:18 29 Jan 03

I see annie35 posted a similar Qu' just before me, I will watch that thread also....

How do I bookmark threads for later reference?

Glow

Ghloria 15:19 29 Jan 03

I suppose everybody noticed my gaff in the original posting....."PCWorld used dabs.com to build the system recently (I only have the first part )".....It should have been PC Adviser of course....

Glow.

grove34 15:33 29 Jan 03

sounds like an emachine.

you can use cable ties to strap it to the hdd that already there.

i've seen it done and it works well if you get them tight enough.

Ghloria 22:17 29 Jan 03

Its a Packard bell "Pulsar C300"

grove34 23:00 29 Jan 03

did you buy it from pissyworld.

if you did then it will be just about the same as the emachine.

i've got a pic of this being done if ya want it

Ghloria 08:55 30 Jan 03

Whats an "emachine"

grove34 15:17 30 Jan 03

its what i had a couple of years ago,then i learnt how to build pc's.

need i say more

emachine site click here

grove34 23:14 30 Jan 03

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…