Newby Broadband Question

Maineman 10:53 20 Jul 04

Apologies, can't find the answer to this one. I'm looking to change to broadband imminently (at last) but ideally want to keep my current e-mail address from dial-up. If I choose another ISP I guess I'll have to change address? If I stay with my current ISP will I keep the same one, or does it have to change because I'm swapping dial-up for broadband?

Gongoozler 11:03 20 Jul 04

You should look at your ISP website. Tiscali say that you can keep your email address, but I can't say if the others will. If you change ISP, then you will get a new email address. You can also get your new isp to pick up emails from your old one, but you will probably have to use the old dial-up isp periodically to keep the account alive. If your dial-up is on a monthly contract don't forget to change it to pay-as-you go to avoid being billed monthly.

Another hint - Once your broadband connection is active, unplug your dial-up modem from the telephone line, and you will be safe from malicious diallers.

Grantrh 11:06 20 Jul 04

It depends on the supplier but usually you do change your email address.
You may be able to have both email addresses and have the email sent to your dailup account re-directed to your broadband account.

Maineman 11:13 20 Jul 04

Thanks guys. Gongoozler you said about changing from contract to pay as you go. My current ISP charges a set rate each month direct debit. I wasn't aware of pay as you go, presumably dependent on download amounts? I'd rather pay the monthly fee and be done with it I think. I'm with Highstream by the way. Their Broadband is £24 pm and so far I've been very pleased with them (dial up) free support etc. I'll speak to them about the e-mail address and maybe redirecting my dial up stuff if required.

Gongoozler 12:43 20 Jul 04

I don't think Highstream do a pay-as-you-go, but their customer support is on a freephone number 0800-089-0050, so give them a call. click here

Bagsey 12:54 20 Jul 04

BtYahoo. I have kept my old email address that I have had about 7 years and through various incarnations of bt as an ISP.

Maineman 14:10 20 Jul 04

Done that now thanks. Yes I can keep the same address. Result! Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…