Newbie seeking advice on graphics card

Mongoose132 18:27 12 Aug 06

My grandad has given me his computer, it has a Duron 1GH processor and a Pc Chips M810LR motherboard with 64 MB shared graphics.Would I benefit by getting an AGP graphics card and are they still available for this board? I have 512MB SDRAM. Is I am only 13 I cannot afford a major upgrade.

FelixTCat 18:37 12 Aug 06

Mongoose132,

Have a look at this page: click here

It tells you what cards will work.

If you're looking to play games, none of the cards will enable you to play the latest games at full resolution, but you probably know already that you can't afford one of them.

My laptop has an Ati 9700 chip and I can play most games at reduced resolution and some of the fancy stuff turned off.

You can probably get a reasonable card for £80 and a very good one for £130 - is your birthday coming up soon?

Regards,

Felix

Totally-braindead 18:48 12 Aug 06

You would benefit by getting a seperate graphics card for 2 reasons. Firstly it would take the power the processor has to use to power the graphics and free it up to run the programs and secondly it would free up another 64mb for programs. It may be stating the obvious but it would also improve the graphics. Onboard is not as good as a seperate card. You will never make this a storming games machine as the processor is too slow so there is little point in spending a lot on a graphics card.
Therefore I would look at something like this click here or this click here if thats too expensive then perhaps click here or click here although obviously being cheaper the last 2 cards are not as good as the first 2. Theres no simple answer to which to buy as your processor is just to slow to run any of the newer games, I'm sure you realise this already but it can still play a lot of the budget games reasonably well if you get a seperate card.

Oh by the way your motherboard supports only 4x AGP and the cards are all 8x AGP, do not worry about this as the difference is slight and any of the cards will run fine in your PC.

Mongoose132 18:52 12 Aug 06

Thank you both for the input and i'll look it up

Mongoose132 11:56 13 Aug 06

FelixTCat...that is an intereesting link and has a lot of useful information.Thank you.

Totally-braindead.
I have followeded your Novatech link and have decided to give the Sapphire 9550 card a go.It is priced at £53 on several other sites,so I will stick to your recommendation.Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…