Newbie with no idea

bogsdollox1 15:00 03 Sep 09

Can somebody please give me some advice.
I have a TINY Pc with a MSI MS-6524 Ver 1 motherboard and a Pentium 4 processor and 2 x 128mb p100 memory strips.
I want to put in a new motherboard but do not understand all the jargon that goes with it.
I have been given a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 300gb SATA drive which I want to use.
What do people reccommend please bearing in mind that unfortunately cost is a big factor in this.
Will my P4 be ok to use on another board.
Thanks

Batch 17:02 03 Sep 09

Given the probable age of your PC I wouldn't be surprised if it won't support a SATA drive at all.

If you are putting in a new motherboard, you'll end up replacing most of the items that plug-in to the mobo as well.

Bottom line is that it is almost certainly more bother and more cost than its worth. You'd be better off buying a complete new system unit - it is cheaper to do this than buy the components and self-build.

lofty29 17:19 03 Sep 09

Dont forget your software probably will not be any good as well.

Diemmess 17:37 03 Sep 09

..... for the reasons Batch and Lofty29 have already given as well as other snags.

A manufacturer can buy all the components at a discount over your one-off self build, and the interdependant factors in the major changes you will have to make.

Quiller. 17:59 03 Sep 09

click here

this is better. click here

You could put your SATA drive in and your cdroms.

Batch 08:52 04 Sep 09

Have a look around at these sites:

click here

click here

click here

for complete systems units with an operating system included, but without a monitor. You should be able to get something reasonable for well under £200. These often come with keyboard and speakers as well. I'm assuming that you will be willing to use your existing monitor.

If you are prepared to pay a bit more, you can get one with a monitor for not a lot more.

Batch 08:53 04 Sep 09

That last one should have been:

click here

^wave^ 09:56 04 Sep 09

from your title newbie i dont want to turn you off doing a home build but there are pit falls and from the other posts its not just a mother brd you will need it a new chip new memory new case and operating system possibly. look at a bear nones system you build one of those up far easier. the easist way though is to get a complete new system when windoes 7 comes out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…