newbie needs help

cabbieman 22:32 24 Mar 04

I have just had my aol broadband kit delivered today but I have a problem. I'm only running windows98 and it wants 98SE as a minimum.I know I should have checked first but sometimes I'm a bit impatient. What I want to know is, what are my options. Do I have to buy 98SE or is there anything I can download to fill the gaps.My pc is about 4 years old now and has only got 3gb hard drive and 128mb memory.

Ivor_Monkey 22:34 24 Mar 04

Sorry I don;t have aol, but have you tried installing/running it? I have win98 and run telewest BB with no problem.

BHC92 22:36 24 Mar 04

Make sure you have the latest updates and try installing it.

cabbieman 22:40 24 Mar 04

I've tried installing it but it tells me win98 is not good enough.What updates should I be looking for? As you probably can tell.I'm not terribly good with pc's.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:55 24 Mar 04

I'm sure someone here will have an old W98 to SE upgrade CD that they can send you. I have a W98SE disk that was supplied with a computer that has been cannibalised but I'm not sure if the package has the correct serial code. You are welcome to have it if no one can offer the upgrade CD.

allstarhm 02:16 25 Mar 04

Please make sure that before u install win98SE, that ur hardware is compatible to do so. Most win98 computer with smaller HDD (around 4GB) cannot support win98SE.
Also, u mightwant to try to install it again, as most win98 can go on broadband, if not, try to install all available updates.

Smiler 12:45 25 Mar 04

A friend of mine had the same problem and we had to wipe the hdd and install win98se fresh. 98se update disk are as rare as rocking horse s**t. Once win 98se installed everything went perfectly. His hdd is only 4GB no probs.

keith-236785 13:04 25 Mar 04

the problem with windows 98 is that it doesnt have support for USB, windows 98SE does support USB and is probably the reason for this being the minimum spec.

windows 98 SE can be picked up quite cheaply from a computer fair, but as it is no longer supported by Microsoft, maybe you should take this opportunity to go to winxp, the home edition can be bought from about £55 from suppliers within the Micromart magazine which is out today & every thursday cost £1.80 from whsmiths and other newsagents (not all though).

good luck

Smiler 13:59 25 Mar 04

I think you will find that win 98 does support usb and that microsoft does still support win 98se as reported here click here

There are still a lot of people happily using win 98 including myself. As the saying goes if it ain't broke....

stlucia 16:52 25 Mar 04

I would recommend 98SE if you can find it, rather than XP, to avoid the hassle of having to update other drivers etc. such as for old(ish) modems and printers.

woodchip 16:55 25 Mar 04

Win98se Disc at Barnsley Metrodome Computer Fair on the 12th April £8.00 She had about 8 in when I was there other day

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…