Newbie Help Required

Baccus 09:42 22 May 05

Hello, i have a problem with my 2 week old PC, since day one i have had this message pop up on my desktop...

"The procedure entry point iphlpapi.IcmpSendEcho could not be located in the dynamic link library ICMP.dll"

Anybody know what this means and how i get rid of it....bearing in mind i'm new to this???

Thanks in advance for any replies.

john-232317 10:03 22 May 05

It sounds like a registry fault, can you take the PC back to where you bought it as its only two weeks old ?

p;3 10:04 22 May 05

I have no idea what the message is or means; however, could you please give you Operating ssytem (E.G. XP, 2000prof), are you running Internet explorer and if so which version; do you have antivirus software on there and if so which; e,g norton, AVG,

the Windows version will show up when you first boot up; it displays on you monitor for you ;
and what other things do you have installed on there antispy stuff etc:)

try that for starters for you to inform the forum:)

Baccus 10:23 22 May 05

Hi, the operating system is Win XP Pro and i have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed. Not sure how to find out mt Internet Explorer version (can't see anything in properties)?

I can send it back if it comes to it but would rather try and sort it out first.

Pooke100 10:32 22 May 05

do you have a windows disk?

go to start> run and type in: sfc /scannow

john-232317 10:32 22 May 05

Click on help, scroll down to about and click on it.

bremner 10:38 22 May 05

From MSKB

"Icmp.dll provides functionality that allows developers to write Internet ping applications on Windows systems without Winsock 2 support"

I would run system file checker (SFC) and see if that finds any missing or corrupted system files.

Put your XP CD in the drive. (Close down the window that appears)

Then go Start > Run and type sfc /scannow and click OK. Let this proceed and see what is reported.

ps It helps everyone if you give the posting a Title that reflects what the problem is, This aids subsequent searching.

bremner 10:40 22 May 05

Must remember to refresh before posting

john-232317 10:43 22 May 05

Do as bremner and pooke say, it is looking for a file to start a program or device that is missing or corrupted in the registry.

Baccus 11:13 22 May 05

I run the windows file protection as suggested and it didn't flag anything?

Explorer version 6.0.290.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm (don't think it has anything to do with explorer though as the message has been there since 1st pwr up and i only got connected to the internet friday)?

The PC is a Mesh unit but their Tech Supp don't work at the weekends?**!! If i don't have any luck today i'll get them to send an Engineer on Monday.

Pooke100 11:20 22 May 05

Try using the restore cd, you'll need to re install anything you've installed over the last two weeks.....

I think you'll get charged for a techie to call out to your home>?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…