newbie with 2 questions security & monitors

skizee 18:46 04 Feb 08

hi

i am in the process of buying my first computer(im 41!!) i am SO looking forward to getting it, but i am nervous at the same time as i know little about the whole thing.

i have been buying various computer magazines for around 6 months to get some more knowledge.

anyway my questions are:

1. i am very confused with regards to internet security. i looked at the reviews in PC advisor and have just looked at the ones on this site as well, and am more confused! i was leaning towards kaspersky, but it appears not to be the best choice for novices. what exactly do i need, there seems to be anti virus and other products as well. my computer shop has recommened AVG brand.

2. monitor. i am looking to do a fair bit of photoediting and possibly some video as well, but at a later stage. i have looked at the LG flatron L226WTQ 22inch which has got a good write up on this site, my computer shop has recommended the asus PW191-AS 19inch. i have done a search and got some info on it but it doesnt appear to be as good as the LG.

the spec i have been quoted at my local computer shop is (they were very helpful):

antec mid
ATX tower
600w PSU
Asus P5K motherboard
Intel E6750 CPU
2GB DDRII memory
sata DVDRW
320GB sata 16mb cache
8600 GTs 512mb
windows XP home
monitor as above
office 2007 small business
and lastly a multi card reader
£970 incl vat.

but i have had a think and would like some opinions, i assume the above is a good system, but do i need it or could i get away with something a bit cheaper.

many thanks and look forward to hopefully reading your responses!

peter99co 19:04 04 Feb 08

Visit a Local Jessops Photo Shop and ask them for advice and this will improve your Knowledge greatly. The Staff are usually quite skilled in the photo field. Bear in mind you need to spend on Photo editing software and they will help in this field as well. A friend of mine had his m/c set-up by Jessops and they give good support.
ps I do not work for Jessops just a good customer.

peter99co 19:22 04 Feb 08

AVG is Good (free) but check in the Help Room for Security software software some of the users have good lists and advice on best set-up. ONLY install one anti virus. and as many spy/malware as you feel is appropriate. (3 of best?)

bluto1 19:49 04 Feb 08

Hi,
Avast Antivirus click here
or AVG Antivirus click here are both good antivirus programmes but only use one of them or they'll conflict.

Adaware click here
cCleaner click here
Spywareblaster click here
A squared (Sometimes referred to as A2)click here Should get you started on Anti Spyware.
You'll learn of others whose urls I don't have to hand as this thread progresses. Good Luck

bluto1 19:50 04 Feb 08

Forgot to say they are all free

lisa02 09:59 05 Feb 08

PC seems quite expensive click here for a system with much more in it but will be either cheaper or same price.

Then I recommend the new Samsung 22 inch screen for around £200.

Total around £950.00

lisa02 10:00 05 Feb 08

Oops I can't count £850

£649 for the machine and £200 for a 22 inch monitor.

isca2 12:14 05 Feb 08

Have a look to see what these offer
click here id=CLW328yCrZECFQPclAodpTLPYA
Have just bought an excellent system from them and they come highly recommended. They are also happy to chat with you about your requirements.

birdface 12:30 05 Feb 08

AVG have just came up with a new Internet Security package.It works out about £35 for two years which looks very reasonable compared to others.click here

User-1229748 12:52 05 Feb 08

most new machines will come with a trial version of internet security.you could always stick with the trial version until you feel more confident.i'm the same age as you so i know it can be a bit daunting as computers weren't really used at schools until we had left but you will soon have at least basic skills.you will need to know what is included in any internet security suite so you can add what you need.there is always some experts on these forums that will gladly help you when it's needed.

Totally-braindead 17:42 05 Feb 08

It depends what you need. I use AVG free as do my friends and its kept us all safe and its free but its just an antivirus, if you want other things such as a firewall and malware removal then you have to use other programs as well, they are free as well but they are not all intergrated into one package.

Personally I see no reason to pay but if you do want an all in one package then Kaspersky gets good reviews especially of its anti virus click here I just checked the price and its £27.44 for 2 years which can't be bad.

As with all programs there is a demo you can try for 30 days.

Be aware of one thing, as mentioned most machines come with a demo of some AV already. If you do decide to try another program you MUST delete the one already on your computer before trying anything else. You can only have one anti virus program on your PC. If you have more than one they will conflict and neither will work properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos