New Zone Alarm Problem

Air_Man 09:03 02 Apr 07

I installed the new update of Zone Alarm free over the weekend and now am having problems with the internet.

Everything works fine for the first 5 or so minutes but then it wont load new pages. I am still able to get emails and continue listening to radio programmes that had been started while the connection was still working.

I can also ping addresses succesfully from the command prompt but just cannot access web pages. I have tried IE6 and Firefox 2 but both come up with a "page cannot be displayed" error.

I have tried removing the new ZA but this fails too. I am also unable to open ZA to check settings - although it appears in the running processes (but not in the system tray).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thx

anskyber 09:12 02 Apr 07

Which OS are you using?

luthier 09:17 02 Apr 07

I had a similar problem this weekend. During the installation of the update for ZA I got a message to the effect that I didn't have administrator authority - which I did. Following this the system tray icon disappeared but ZA appeared to be functioning. I could not reinstall and eventually I removed ZA and installed Comodo instead. However I did like ZA and would revert to it if I could. Sorry Air_Man this is no help to you but at least you know you are not alone!

SURVEY 09:27 02 Apr 07

Air_Man - I had severe problems with this update as you may note from my various postings yesterday. I had to uninstall the update and then found I cold not reinstall an earlier version due to bits of ZoneAlarm still remaining on the disc. I gave a link that I found how to remove these scattered bits plus registry changes. I then was able to reinstall an early version 6 of Zonealarm and all is back working OK now. However I wasted many frustrating hours with all this. Almost as bad as gettig rid of Norton products!

Incidentally a posting a couple of years ago recommending Zonealarm ststaed that as the Firewall is a fairly simple bit of kit there should be no need to update it as any such protection will be better than Windows own firewall. What has changed to warrant updates?

Air_Man 09:31 02 Apr 07

Thanks people. It seems that this update is causing a lot of problems for people.

SURVEY - I can't seem to find your posting with the link. Any chance you could point me in the right direction.

Thx

Air_Man 09:20 04 Apr 07

In the end I removed Zone Alarm via Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, then deleted the folder C:\windows\system32\zonelabs and re-installed a version 6 Zone Alarm free from a fairly recent cover disk (Hey! I used a cover disc!)

I shall be steering clear of upgrading ZA Free to version 7 until all the problems have died down.

Thx everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced