New to XP.Can you advise

Newuser2110 14:42 08 Jul 04

I will be going to XP on a laptop and (believe it or not)as i have never had a virus or other attack using 98, should i simply move over my Mcafee firewall or use Xp's.I also use Panda 2004 so I guess this will work just as well.Do things only get on your machine via email(which i dont have a lot of, mainly family) or by attacks getting past firewalls.What sort of attacks can i expect that i may not have got using 98.
Thanks in advance

TommyRed 15:07 08 Jul 04

Make sure you get the latest critical updates from 'Windows Update' site. Also download and install Spybot S & D 1.3 click here , Ad-Aware 6 click here and SpywareBlaster click here . These are all free, and should give you adequate protection from spyware, malware etc HTH TR

Stuartli 15:59 08 Jul 04

Disable the XP firewall and use your current one or the free version of ZoneAlarm.

If you use Outlook Express (this applies to any OS in use) disable Preview Pane permanently and you will prevent viruses from doing their dirty work merely by clicking on an e-mail.

If you know the source of the e-mail you can click it once to open - any doubts, right click and then Properties.

Use the information displayed and reading the e-mail itself via Message Source to decide whether to Cancel it and then delete, whilst still highlighted, with the Toolbr's Delete button.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…