New to XP - problem with Hotmail

xania 13:31 05 Jul 04

I've just install XP Pro onto my wife's PC - I'm still with 98SE for the present - and have a few niggles to resolve. First one only in this thread. Although the broadband works well in every other respect, when ever I try to log onto her Hotmail account - and we have the same problem with Yahoo mail - we get the standard 'unable to connect' screen. The pop e-mail account works fine through both IE and OE. I suspect that there's a security setting that needs to be corrected, but everything I've tried comes straight back to the same dead end.

Incidentally, I've tried the same access on my own (98SE) PC with no trouble, so the problem is clearly with the new OS PC.

SirGalahad2004 13:49 05 Jul 04

have you got the firewall running . it could be the firewall thats stopping entry

terminus 14:26 05 Jul 04

also worth checking the cookie levels in Internet Explorer........tools.....Options.......security. they maybe too high.

xania 22:10 05 Jul 04

Thanks for your suggestions. I have reduced all the security settings to either enable or ask, but this has made no difference. Also, although there is a firewll installed, it is not on at present. However, there is another, possibly linked problem. We have Norton Systemworks and when we run LiveUpdate one program - Common Client Updates - always fails to install. Also, we cannot enable e-mail scanning - hte enable button does not work. Is there a link?

By the way, I was wrong about Yahoo mail - that works - the one the does not work is Google G-mail. Also her office web mail does not work. They all give the same report - The page cannot be displayed.

Irishman 23:05 05 Jul 04

I use Avant browser and notice that Lycos webpages sometimes don't open unless the pop up blocker is disabled.

xania 15:58 07 Jul 04

bump

xania 08:51 09 Jul 04

bump

xania 09:02 12 Jul 04

Seems we had a bad installation of XP. Reinstallation cleared all problems. Thanks for all comments received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…