New XP Pro Installation - Dell Notebook

Ben Avery 11:12 12 Jan 04

G'day

I've purchased XP Pro (OEM) for my Dell Latitude CPxJ notebook and am about to format the HDD and install it.

I've entered my Service tag on the Dell site and I'm scrolling through the various driver downloads it has on it. Some I've come accross I'm a little wary about.

There is the following drivers available to download for Windows XP on the site:

* Audio Drivers
* FlashBIOS Update (Dell Latitude tS/xJ System BIOS)
* Dell Diagnostics
* Dell OS Updates A13 (DRVR)
* Dell OS Updates A17 (UTIL)
* Dell Suspend Utilities (Suspend to Disk, Remove Suspend to Disk)
* Dell OpenManage IT Assistant
* ATI Mobility M1 Video Driver

Which of these do I need to install? I assume that XP will pick up the audio and video, but if not the drivers will be needed, but what are all the Dell drivers? Do I need any of them? Will I need the FlashBios for XP to be detected ok as the stystem was designed for Windows 2000, NT4 or 98SE according to the sticker?

Cheers

BA

Big Elf 11:22 12 Jan 04

The utilities I have on my old Dell laptop reproduce many of the windows functions but are gathered in one program e.g. Power Option, graphics settings.

The ATI driver would also be one to go for as ATI don't supply drivers for laptops.

I'd be wary of the BIOS updates unless they specifically are required for XP or fix a known major problem.

Ben Avery 11:24 12 Jan 04

Cheers for the quick response.

I guess the best option is to carry on the installation and if any are needed (or anything doesn't work) search for and install the necessary drivers then?

BA

User-312386 11:24 12 Jan 04

Hi there

The Bios stays intact when you re-format HDD

why not download them all, save them to disc and if you need them at least you have saved them

Ben Avery 11:26 12 Jan 04

Yeah, I figured the same, have downloaded all available drivers, updates etc, and saved to CD-ROM just in case!

Glad others agree, hopefully should be all ok. I installed it on a workstation recently and that went so easily and works so smoothly that I bought it for my notebook too!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…