New Worm Warning

mark500 16:13 08 Sep 03

"First 9/11 virus discovered

By Dan Verton, Computerworld (US)
Antivirus researchers late Wednesday discovered what is being described as the first of potentially many "9/11" anniversary viruses spreading on the Internet.

While it's too early to tell what, if any, damage the new virus is causing, Eric Kwon, president and CEO of San Jose-based Hauri, the company that discovered the virus, said its impact seems to be similar to that caused by the recent outbreak of the Sobig worm, which overloaded email servers with large volumes of spam.

The 9/11 virus contains the headline "It's Near 911" or a similar variation, as well as an attachment labelled "911.jpg." Users should not open the email or the attached file.

"Like previous worm viruses, the 9/11 virus collects email lists from Microsoft Outlook in order to spread more rapidly, using the provocative headline about 9/11 to get the unsuspecting user to open the email," said Kwon. "In this case, there also appears to be an intention of causing fear, as well as a possible political motivation."

Many virus experts have been expecting an outbreak of some kind of specific 9/11 virus or worm, and this may be just the first of many to appear in the wild during the next two weeks, added Kwon.

Antivirus company Symantec also identified the virus, which it called [email protected], on its website, saying it is a "mass-mailing worm that attempts to use Microsoft Outlook to e-mail itself to all the contacts in the Windows Address Book."

Kitz E Kat 18:11 08 Sep 03

"Users should not open the email or the attached file", i was under the impression that you could open an email,IE,. read it,and that was OK.
You would not 'catch ' the virus, and that the only way to get infected was to open the attachment...

Yeah\no????

Kitz E Kat

mark500 18:22 08 Sep 03

Note your point, though I don't know anything about this but what I have read. If you download a mail from your server like mine in incredimail it does not show until I click on it. If I don't like the look of an E-Mail I just right click and delete without anything being opened at all. I was under the same impression as you and I think this just maybe a warning to the new users about being cautious. Do you think so?

spikeychris 18:32 08 Sep 03

If an AV is not pointed at the in-box then even having the preview pane open can invite nasties..

Jester2K II 18:57 08 Sep 03
  Kitz E Kat 18:59 08 Sep 03

Duly noted!!!!!
Thanks
Kitz E Kat :-)

Kitz E Kat 19:04 08 Sep 03

there are two types of people, those with virus protection and those without..........

And would the ones without stop calling me with a dodgy computer as a result of opening an attachment..............twat's...
Fixed two computers in the past week neither had ANY virus protection.......

That's my rant, sorry!!!!!!!
Kitz E Kat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…