new to wireless!some basic questions..

moby58 13:23 03 Apr 09

I'm just about to install a wireless router,for my laptop[virgin 54mbps],and have some questions.What happens to my printer/external hard drive/external cd...as they are all connected to the laptop.Will I have to connect them each time I need them?A previous reply said use them as normal,but I dont understand how if they are not connected to side of laptop!Any other tips or warnings as I venture into the Wireless World??Thanks in advance.....

MAJ 13:36 03 Apr 09

Duplicate post. click here

"How can the printer/cd etc still work when they aren't physically connected to the side of laptop?"

I was assuming that you meant, if the laptop was being used as it is now. If you want to move around with the laptop, then of course you would have to plug the devices in to get them to work.

The router will broadcast the wireless signal which will be picked up by the laptop's built-in wireless card (if it has one, most newish laptops do have one) or by a USB wireless network adapter click here plugged into the laptop. Normally if you're moving round the house or garden, the printer, ext CD player, etc. aren't plugged in. You can print wirelessly using a print server or a network with the printer connected and shared on another computer in the house, but that's a different question to the one you asked.

moby58 13:42 03 Apr 09

Thanks MAJ.That makes sense.Just wanted to double check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced