New wireless router with CD missing - help

Kaytee1 18:16 12 Aug 07

I've finally bought a wireless router so I can get my new laptop online and the install CD is missing from the box. It's a Linksys WRT54G and it says 'Run the CD first' all over the box. I have no idea what to do, can someone help me please. I have NTL broadband connected to the desktop PC.

woodchip 18:21 12 Aug 07

You do not need a CD to get the router working Read the Instructions on how to Install. You should be looking for the Web Address to typ in the Browser Address bar to get to Router setup page. It do's not connect to the internet by doing this but you need to turn on IE to put the Address in. Also connect with the suplied Ethernet Cable for first time setup. as above read the instructions

woodchip 18:23 12 Aug 07

PS my Wireless Address is for a 3Com router 192.168.1.1 with http:// in front of the number

Kaytee1 20:30 12 Aug 07

Partial success, I've got it connected and I'm now trying to set it up. It's asking for a Host name and a Domain name and won't let me proceed without them. As I said, I'm on NTL/Virgin so can anyone tell me what to put in here, I've dug out the paperwork from when the broadband was put it but there's nothing there. Thanks

woodchip 20:41 12 Aug 07

You need User and Password plus Server ID

Kaytee1 21:15 12 Aug 07

Thanks Woodchip, that worked. All seems to be working OK now. I've told the main PC to share the printer but my laptop is not showing it. Any more ideas?? You've probably realised I'm a bit of a dunce with these things so all help is gratefully received.

woodchip 21:38 12 Aug 07

To network computers and printers turn them all on, then on one of the XP computers go to Control Panel Network Wizard Follow it through and create a disc when it asks you to use this disc by putting in other computers and double click the file on the disc. you do not need to create any other discs save the one you create. then you can setup file sharing in windows Explore

Kaytee1 23:41 14 Aug 07

Thanks Woodchip, it worked. I'm running on wireless and not waiting for the kids to get off the PC. Thanks again

Kate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…