new wireless connection...doesn't work

reaper_2 16:32 17 Oct 08

um...I'm usually quite good with IT, even if I do occasionally subscribe to the "let's press some buttons and eventually I'll find out what works" school...

anyways I'm trying to set up a wireless network, which I've never done before. To cut a long story short, although my laptop seems to be connected to the router, there seems to be no connection from the router to the modem/internet, even though there is a physical connection between router and Cable modem.

i.e.

click here

So...although I can connect all the leads and set up the router software no problem, once I disconnect the leads (which I assume I should be able to in the end) I can't get online.

Don't think the router is at fault, because the internet indicator light on the router is flashing intermittently, suggesting it is communicating with the modem.

What am I missing?

Oh and I swear if I was on XP I'd have figured it out by now. Damn Vista...

brundle 19:36 17 Oct 08

Have you established a successful internet connection when connected to the router with a cable?

Judging by the fact you mentioned router & modem I would assume you have cable broadband. Switch off the modem and router for 5-10 minutes. Switch on modem, wait a minute or so, switch on router, wait another minute or so. Try the connection.

setecio 15:45 18 Oct 08

Could you tell us the make and model of both the modem and router ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5