New wireless connection

Gran 12:05 23 Jan 06

I have a small home network consisting of two desktop PCs hardwired to a Netgear DG834G router. This has been working fine for nearly a year, but I now wish to make a wireless connection to the router from a new laptop. The laptop has an Intel P650 chip installed and I am told that it is "wireless ready". I suspect that life is not quite as simple as just switching on the laptop wireless facility though.

My question is twofold. Will I need to reconfigure the DG834G router, and will I need to do a Windows wireless setup on the laptop. The laptop supplier has also provided and installed some Intel software called "PROSet/Wireless Software", but no indication what it is for.

I am a total novice in this area, so any advice would be most welcome. I have also read many forum postings and various advice articles, but just become more confused.

Thank you.

mgmcc 13:45 23 Jan 06

There isn't too much to configure in the router itself. Initially, enter an SSID (network name) to replace the default name and make sure that its wireless capabilty is switched on. Later you can set up encryption to "secure" the network so that others cannot connect to it.

In the laptop, you need to "Connect" to the wireless network by running the wireless adapter's software, scanning for "Available Wireless Networks", finding and highlighting the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selecting the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet access.

Gran 16:43 23 Jan 06

Thank you for your helpful reply. I will go and try these instructions and then post the results here. It may take me some time though!!

Gran 20:58 23 Jan 06

Update from Gran.
I followed your advice and have managed, at last, to obtain intermittant connection to the router. I had to refresh the WEP code and go through the wireless activation in the router setup. Then I had to do some trial and error adjustments on the laptop set up as well, and refresh a profile. It's all rather new stuff to me though and I can't remember exactly what I did on the laptop. I haven't managed to actually get through to the internet yet though, so it looks like some more trial and error, although it may possibly be something to do with IP addresses and network set up on the laptop. Also my router is a couple of firmware levels down, and they really seem to be important, despite the fact that those updates can go badly wrong as I've seen on the Netgear forum.
Anyway, it's press on regardless.
Regards
Julia

Gran 20:30 25 Jan 06

I'll close this for the present. At least until I've worked some more on setting up the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…