new windows on Bios

airmiles 10:49 09 Apr 05

i'm building my own pc its a sempron 2.600mhz and 512mb of ram 80gb h/d.i'm savvy with the build but the bios i'm not so good with need formating help and new windows on Bios

bremner 11:42 09 Apr 05

You should not have any need to enter the BIOS.

When you have completed the build put your XP disk in the drive and it will lead you through partitioning and formatting your hard drive prior to installation.

I would choose to have NFTS when prompted.

If you have a SATA hard drive post back and we will tell you the extra step you need to do at installtion of XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:06 09 Apr 05

You may need to enter BIOS to set the CD ROM as first boot device.

and if it doesn't work when you first switch on don't panic the Beep codes give you a clue as to what has failed

Beep Codes
click here
click here

BIOS Settings
click here

Set first boot to CD Rom boot the computer with the CD in the Drive and let XP check your system and format the drive during the install process.

airmiles 17:20 09 Apr 05

thanks for the info it is a sata hard drive.but i would also like to now how to format the drive.just to clear the H/D for a fresh instalation of windows.(for the old system i'm giving to my kids so there's no crap.its just clean.

bremner 19:56 09 Apr 05

For the SATA drive you wil need the SATA drivers on a floppy disk.

When Windows starts to install you will see a message at the bottom of the screen stating "press F6 to load third party drivers" or similar.

Do so and follow the prompts - inserting your driver floppy when requested.

As for your old HDD. Once you have the new system up and running I would install the old drive as a second drive. In Windows you will then be able to format it.

Be aware however that a format does not remove the data. But it will prepare the HDD for a new installation of Windows as you require.

woodchip 19:59 09 Apr 05

Put a Win98 floppy start disc in comp and boot with it then at a:\> type Format C: press enter

airmiles 22:13 09 Apr 05

but i will have a dvd rom and a writer and cd-rw.does this affect the jumpers?.does this affect xp checking the system..........

woodchip 22:21 09 Apr 05

If you have fitted all those or some of the drives then the jumpers at the back of the Drives have to be set heather as Master or Slave depending on what IDE Chanel and other drives are connected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017