New to Windows 8.1 setup help required please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 22 Jul 14

Just got my new PC wondering what the best way to migrate some of my stuff from the old XP PC?

Thinking It may be better to start completely fresh and let most of the old stuff go ;0) rather than use something like PCmover Express that may well transfer all the MY docs folder.

Any help appreciated.

Woolwell 21:54 22 Jul 14

Surprised that you haven't got an answer by now. I tend to look through my folders and get rid of any old documents, picture, etc that I will never need again but I'm a bit of a hoarder and never get rid of enough. Then I put them on an external drive and copy to the new system. Programs start from fresh. I back up my emails and transfer them across too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:17 22 Jul 14

Just had a play with PC mover express, says 51 hrs to transfer over the network didn't really give me much option to not move certain folders it was basically a full drive or not..

Everything on the old PC as from Friday is Acronis imaged to an external drive and there are only a couple of emails extra that I would want.

I will need to figure how to move my old freeserve email account across the gmail account was easy using the mail app and ggogle login.

I've downloaded Chrome but I cannot sign into PCA using chrome with either PCA account or Facebook account but it works ok in IE

Woolwell 22:24 22 Jul 14

The Mail app doesn't support pop eg your old freeserve account. I ditched the app fairly quickly and installed Windows Live Mail.

Odd about Chrome I didn't have that snag.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:34 22 Jul 14

I' just set the live mail accounts up

its imported all the g mail stuff but nothing from the freeserve account

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:29 22 Jul 14

Thanks

I've tried importing my messages from OE to live mail but can't find them after they have imported :0(

Address book has gone in ok :0)

onthelimit1 08:29 23 Jul 14

When I've done this, I've just used windows Easy Transfer for XP and a Belkin cable to link old and new. As OE isn't supported post XP, I loaded Outlook onto old machine, imported CSV from OE to outlook. WET then moved all details from old to new with no problems.

sunnystaines 10:12 23 Jul 14

best tip for windows 8 do not use 3rd party software for program menu when it is hidden in w8

follow these tips to put program menu on the start menu.

• Right click empty section of the taskbar • Click toolbars • 3.click new toolbar • Click empty section of the address bar • Type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu • Press enter • Click “select folder” button lower screen • Click toolbar arrows to open program menu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 23 Jul 14

Start menu is set ok

I have copied my favourite windows games from old XP desktop and Vista laptop into 8.1, so now can waste time between Posts playing spider and Mahjong.

Not sure what Live mail is doing downloading 1100 messages? I know I don't have that many on the server.

As for the PCA sign in problem in Chrome it won' do it on the tablet either so I know its not a PC problem it must be a site problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:30 23 Jul 14

Ok got chrome to sign in now

Used macrium to backup the drive 5 minutes to do :0)

onthelimit1 15:43 24 Jul 14

Was mistaken - just tried to do this, and W8 doesn't support the cable, so I must have used and external HDD for the transfer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…