New Win7 laptop is not really good at downloading

BearHead 23:34 19 Oct 10

Hi, just got my new Windows 7 laptop and it's not really good at downloading anything. I installed Firefox and Chrome and whenever it's downloading a file, it usually fails to do so: I get error messages that the file couldn't be read (after that it shows that the download failed), download can freeze without notice (just stop and pretend it's still downloading), it may finish downloading when it's not fully downloaded (corrupt files occur then), it's a pain in the neck really. The Windows Vista laptop downstairs however is a completely different story - it works just fine (Win7 laptop upstairs is right beside the router and it's not doing the job right). Strange. I tried to connect the router and the W7 laptop through the Ethernet cable - same story. Now please don't recommend me download managers as I don't want too much stuff installed on my PC and it's too much hustle, besides - the new laptop should be capable of downloading the files properly - should it be Internet Explorer or Firefox. Can anybody help? Thanks!

P.S.: Torrents download real fast but not the files from browser windows...

mgmcc 08:30 20 Oct 10

This is certainly not normal behaviour for Windows 7. I'd be inclined to run full scans with AntiVirus and Anti-spyware applications to make sure the computer is free of "internet nasties".

I agree with mgmcc especially as you have been accessing Torrents which are riddled with nasties.
Also make sure you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and up to date.

BearHead 20:48 20 Oct 10

Have Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, SuperAntiSpyware, scanning every day - nothing detected whatsoever. Problem started was before the torrents - they started showing up straight after the unboxing of the laptop, it's brand new like and it's giving me some hard time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…