New to WIFI home networking

David-235429 15:44 07 May 05

I've seen that Aldi are selling, from next Thursday, a Medion wireless LAN Modem router for £69.99. Descriptin from their web site:

Wireless LAN Router 54MBit/s with built-in ADSL - and 56K Modem.

* Ready for both ADSL broadband and 56K modem inter net connections
* Easy to configure simple 'one-click' set-up
* Secure internet access firewall, WEP and WPA encryption
* Includes 54Mbit/s, 802.11g USB WLAN adaptor for laptop or desktop PCs (IEEE 802.11g - USB 1.1 or 2.0 compatible)
* The one-click set-up allows you to easily configure all basic functions of the router
* Be online in a few minutes! As well as the very simple 'one-click' basic set-up - a more detailed and user configurable professional set-up is available for more advanced users.

I am looking at buying a laptop with Wifi built in and linking this to my main PC.

At the risk of sounding really daft, is this all I need to acheive a home network and sharing our Pipex broadband connection, and, when our conection is upgraded soon to 1mbps will the Medion unit still allow the laptop to have that same connection speed?

Thanks for your help

David

madPentium 16:14 07 May 05

Yes all the laptop needs is a wireless adapter.
However, the router will usually need to be configured to allow access for the laptop, the newer routers have tight security. The laptop will connect at the speed the main pc is connected at, but will share the speed. So if you have a 1mb connection, and you download data from the internet at the same time, both will achieve a max of 64k. If one only is downloading then this will achieve 128k.

I hope this helps

woodchip 16:21 07 May 05

You can get a 3Com from ebuyer with a free wireless card that's what I just got with built in Firewall and many other features for same price however you will have post to pay about £3.75
It's come down in price click here

Dipso 22:00 07 May 05

I have seen this router offer and highly rate Medion products, (yes, I know they are re-badgers), I currently have a Medion desktop. But, I would be wary of spending this much on a router without knowing in advance how it performs.

I have a Netgear DG834G which cost me £69 from Amazon with free delivery. click here I did quite a bit of research before I bought it. My ISP, Metronet highly recommended it and have set up instructions on their site. This can be viewed by non-subscribed also.

Don't be fooled by the one click set up claim. My Netgear had a wizard to help you through the process if you required it and was very easy to set up.

Dipso 22:07 12 May 05

I have just read a post elsewhere by someone who has bought this router. I must apologise that I didn't realise that it came bundled with a wireless adapter! That makes it much more of a bargain. These cost anything from £20 up.

The poster said they were very happy with the performance and ease of set up by the way.

David-235429 22:10 12 May 05

Thanks, just bought one today - just need to buy the laptop now !!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…