new wi fi router problem

sunny staines 08:24 24 Sep 07

have a friend has a dell laptop with tiscali broadband just bought a lynsky wi fi wag 54g router.

problem if they enter the ip number in direct into the laptop it connnects okay but once logged off if fails to keep the settings. tiscali and lynsky helplines unable to help. the error reads similar to "wirless network 2 limited or no connection"

any one able to advise on how to get the laptop to keep its settings please its using xp pro with ie7.

sunny staines 14:07 24 Sep 07

update [not seen laptop]its not the ip numbers, its the password for the network connection it has detected

sunny staines 15:50 24 Sep 07

having to advise this person on the phone as she is disabled and i cannot visit for a while.

has desktop pc with tiscali all ok and wifi router as mentioned she has acquired a dell laptop with a wifi card which does not always detect signals on boot up could the card be defective? when it does pick up a signal it has lost the auto connect to home network set up in the router, this has to be entered manually each time to work. the "2" in the error leaves me to think the laptop is still trying to connect via the modem she had connected before so I have told her to delete the modem software and any tiscali connections. anyone advise on any further info.

sunny staines 17:33 25 Sep 07

the above ideas did not work.

any one able to help out on this one pleas.

Ashrich 22:56 25 Sep 07

Limited or no connection is usually due to an incorrectly copied password , the " wireless network 2 " just means it is the second network set up on this PC , I had the numbers up to 12 on my last XP laptop due to trying out different wireless adapters . What make and model of laptop is it , has it got service packs on , what type of wireless encryption is the router using ?

Ashley

Ashrich 22:59 25 Sep 07

Just read your first listing and you say it connects Ok , so not the password then ....is XP managing the connection or is it using other utility software ?

Ashley

T0SH 15:56 26 Sep 07

Download and run this Winsock fix on the laptop reboot click here

even if it does not fix the problem it will do no harm also be sure you have set "Never dial a connection" on the IE properties connection tab
Cheers HC

sunny staines 16:05 26 Sep 07

thanks i will pass the info on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now