New Website

mfc_1986 11:32 04 Feb 06

Hi, i am writing on behalf of someone who i know who is wanting to create their own website for their business that being childminding. They do not know anything about HTML etc and theyre looking maybe for a template unless anything else is suggested. Theyre looking for it to look obviously professional but needs to associate with children in terms of colours and look.

Forum Editor 12:08 04 Feb 06

that this person has zero experience as far as web-design and publishing goes?

Is he/she relatively computer-literate?

Does he/she have a registered domain name, and if so, where is it currently parked?

My recommendations depend on the answers to those questions.

mfc_1986 12:15 04 Feb 06

well she has asked me to give her a hand but i dont know a huge amount about web design... yes she is computer literate so am i, and no, no domain as of yet.

I know there is a way of creating the images in photoshop and saving them and putting iti nto dreamweaver but im not entirly sure of how to do that, i know how to put images but this would be one big Photoshop file with all the bars banners etc...

Forum Editor 12:37 04 Feb 06

The first thing to do is to register a domain name (preferably a .co.uk one), and have it hosted - don't even think about using an ISP's free webspace if you want this site to look professional.

There are literally hundreds of web-hosts out there, and recommendations are always tricky. Of late I have been recommending Heart Internet, because they are without a doubt the most efficient and professionally run hosting company I have dealt with. I run my own reseller hosting account with them, and I have no hesitation in recommending the company.

click here for more details. The basic package is all you would need.

Included in the package will be a huge range of site templates, and there's bound to be one to suit you.

That, in my opinion, is the shortest route from A to B in this situation - you can always think about tweaking the site, or completely redesigning it later on.

mfc_1986 12:47 04 Feb 06

Thanks very much for the information FE, i will take it into consideration, i do have a Dreamweavers guide for dummies but its a point of getting round to reading it, maybe in the mean time i can get an account at Heart Internet and then as you say redesign it. Thanks again for you help in this matter.

mco 12:54 04 Feb 06

bother with Dreameaver in the first instance.Yes, it is one of the biggies and I know you have Dreamweaver for dummies (so do I) but frankly if you've never done a site before and want one up and running and looking good there are other much easier ways initially to do it - you can save the dreamweaver for when you've been at it awhile.

mco 12:56 04 Feb 06

Just clicked the link and see you get a webbuilder program with that - I'd definitely go that way if I were you to start with

mfc_1986 13:07 04 Feb 06

what programs could you suggest or otherways to start of with web design mco?

mfc_1986 14:17 04 Feb 06

are Heart internet a bit slow on support? as im wating for a free account to be activated just to look at their package, but i will order the starter professional, i would not go with the free account. Its either their very busy or cant be bothered answering as i have een on live chat for about 15 mins now. Another question i have to pose to them, unless anyone here can answer it is the Domains, for example it costs £2.59 including registration, is that 2.59 a month or 2.59 per year?

mco 17:09 04 Feb 06

netobjects fusion 7 is offered free with a pc mag this month or else in last April's PCA/ There's a version of serifwebplus free on the internet if you search. If you want to buy, Front Page is user-friendly but I'd start with anything free myself!

Forum Editor 18:19 04 Feb 06

that says: 'More information' under the Starter Professional pack, and you'll see everything that comes with that pack, including the information that the cost is £2.49 a month. That's a very reasonable price for such a well-specified package.

I'm not sure where you saw the free account - I wasn't aware they offered one.

Where's the live chat support option? I wasn't aware that was available either. Their customer support is excellent, but it's not a live chat system. I've never waited more than about half an hour for a response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…