New Webdesign Site Coming Together - c&c

robgaskell 12:49 12 Jul 03

Hi,

After doing a bit of webdesign over the past few years I've now got a few months to really concentrate on it (uni holidays :D ). I've got my head down and got started on doing a new site. Although it's not finished (a few bugs to iron out as well as adding content to some pages. and getting the contact form to work).

Anyway - I'd appreciate it if you could take a look and let me know your thoughts - good and bad:

click here

Falkyrn 14:41 12 Jul 03

Good looking well designed site which shows the work you have already put into it, but ...

I fall into the school of silent thought .. if you must have the music include an off switch

purely personal preference but the colour scheme appears to be a little "bland"

apart from that I like it

pj123 15:02 12 Jul 03

I agree with Falkyrn. Take the music off. I did find the "off" switch but I still get silly sounds whenever I click my mouse.

Taran 19:36 12 Jul 03

It takes a while to load on narrowband but the design is pretty slick.

Until broadband is the norm I will always have a certain irritation toward Flash, despite the results that can be achieved with it.

The on mouse over sounds aren't my cup of tea, but that could just be me and I have been known to keep my speakers disabled or at least muted almost all of the time I'm online.

The design is very nice overall though. If I was to really nit pick I'd say your selection of font type and/or colour gets a bit lost in places against the background, at least to my eyes. With a bit of polishing and added content though, it is very good indeed.

Good luck with it (and in getting your form to work !)

Regards

Taran

keith-236785 10:01 14 Jul 03

all i get is a blank screen,,,,,

robgaskell 12:22 14 Jul 03

That may have been because I was uploading an updated version - I've taken the sounds off the buttons (which I think I probably agree with) and added a bit more content (not the portfolio yet, although that's coming along). Also, the domain is just a temporary free one until I sort out the .com

Anyway, it seems to be working now - let me know what you think.

Taran 14:21 14 Jul 03

If you're still having form trouble you may be interested to know that there are ways of tying a Flash form into PHP, ASP or CGI scripts, depending on how you prefer to process your feedback.

I'm fond of PHP rather than CGI with a Flash form for the ease of sending me an email of the forms contents as well as storing the submitted fields records in an online database for future reference.

My apologies if this is not of interest but it can be a pain at times to set up Flash based forms for useful record processing and I'm not certain how far along you might be with that aspect of web design.

Regards

Taran

robgaskell 15:18 14 Jul 03

I'm using PHP to send off the email, but for some reason the server doesn't like .php3 so I need to change the flash file to send the vars to mail.php (originally mail.php3).

brilson 09:15 16 Jul 03

Atractive looking site. But I have to tell you that I find being *made* to listen to music annoys me intenselyIt?s an attractive looking site, at least at first glance. But I have to tell you that I find being made to listen to music annoys me intensely. You have no influence over the volume control on my computer. When I reached your site, I was greeted by unwelcome music blaring out at me. I left completely rather than looking for the volume off switch on your site. The point being that I didn?t get past the first glance.

I?m not sure why you feel the need to play music over your site. If I were you, I would follow the example of 99.99999 % of sites on the web. Can the music.

B

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…