'NEW' VISTA HP PC REQUIRES VALIDATION KEY?

rotormota 16:44 01 May 09

Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand HP Pavilion desktop with Vista Home Premium installed. It's all working fine but the OS needs authentication within 16 days.

I know that the previous owner did a complete clean install of Vista before selling & I have the authentication number but when entering it I get the message that it is already in use, presumably because it was used to activate Vista before the clean install.

I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new number so does anyone know what I can do?

Many thanks.
J

Woolwell 17:44 01 May 09

Contact MS by phone and explain the situation.

woodchip 17:52 01 May 09

Key should be on the back of the comp green sticker with bar code

Woolwell 18:14 01 May 09

If you have already tried the key as Woodchip has described then contact MS. I have found them helpful activating Office when moving it from one PC to another and ran into licence problems.

sharpamat 18:43 01 May 09

Presume that the original restore to factory settings folder is not operational. useing this if Vista was preinstalled should not require validati( D Factory Image )I never had a validation key with my HP nore is there a sticker

The activation is seen by control pannel, then system & maintenance, system

Failing this as advised contact microsoft or contact HP to obtain a set of recovery discs to get details press ctr alt S for your actual system

rotormota 20:24 01 May 09

Thanks. Do you know the phone number?

rotormota 20:29 01 May 09

I should add that the PC was originally XPMCE but the seller installed VistaHP. Apparently he did a completely clean reinstall to clear any of his own data ready for selling. I'm assuming that when he originally put Vista on he used the key number & the problem is that the clean reinstall is reading that the key is already used?

Cheers.
J

The Kestrel 20:35 01 May 09

Here is the link you need click here

woodchip 20:47 01 May 09

One thing you have to be careful is that With me I have a Medion Laptop and Desktop With both OEM XP CD's and Restore CD's For Both Computers the key they used to setup the PC is different to the one on the computers. Thet must be as they do that many computers and it must be the license they use

Woolwell 22:02 01 May 09

Where did the seller get Vista from? If he has it installed on another PC then there could be problems. Did the seller not provide any Vista discs.

Input Overload 01:51 02 May 09

MS are usually very helpful, phone them & explain the situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…