new virus warning today

johnnyrocker 18:03 14 Apr 04

the following would appear to be an upcoming issue

It doesn't matter WHO it comes from, as it's usually NOT a valid email address, however, the body and subject stay the same for the most part. I will share with you one that I got at my @fractured.net account...

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 10:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Notify about using the e-mail account.

Hello user of Fractured.net e-mail server,

We warn you about some attacks on your e-mail account. Your computer may contain viruses, in order to keep your computer and e-mail account safe, please, follow the instructions.

Please, read the attach for further details.

For security purposes the attached file is password protected. Password is "23045".

The Management,
The Fractured.net team h**p://click here
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OPEN THE ATTACHED FILE IF YOU GET IT!

This appears to be the most recent virus being spread around, and it is VERY deceptive, especially for those with offices.... ALWAYS contact your web host if you see an email address that you don't recognize

johnny.

anon1 18:37 14 Apr 04

not new here but this has been on bt home pages for a while now We are aware of a number of viruses that arrive in the form of an email with an attachment. On opening the attachment it runs a program. This program plunders address books for email addresses and uses an in-built mail program to send itself to new victims. Recent variants of this type of virus include Netsky, MyDoom, Mimail, Dumaru and Bagle. On no account should customers open attachments unless they are sure of the source and content.

Please also be a aware that a number of these viruses use false addresses to send from, for example [email protected] and [email protected]. Please note that the BT Internet Services billing team does not send out emails with attachments, please delete any email purporting to be from the BT Openworld, BT Yahoo! or BT Internet teams if it arrives with an attachment.

johnnyrocker 18:40 14 Apr 04

thta is standard bt warnings, my posting is about a specific incident doing the rounds.

johnny.

sattman 21:51 14 Apr 04

I recieved similar that was purporting to come from Symantec with an attachment. the attachment was a virus and was detected and stripped by Norton

In addition yesterday I got a pop up from Zone Alarm with a message that I needed to update my Norton anti virus, being aware that Norton dont send out such messages, I checked and it was false my av was up to date.

We need to remain calm but aware that the attacks are getting more clever and devious.

cycoze 22:41 14 Apr 04

Read about it click here .

johnnyrocker 00:03 15 Apr 04

i was not in any way getting aggravated about this info but posted it for the use of lesser informed users who sometimes post as newbies and would appreciate any forms of help.

johnny

Forum Editor 00:08 15 Apr 04

doing the rounds, and have been for some time. They all have a similar theme, and are all fairly convincing at first glance. Once you read the text in detail it's not difficult to realise that there's something not right - they're usually full of grammatical errors.

johnnyrocker 00:14 15 Apr 04

merely trying to help/advise the less informed who quite rightly admit to being 'newbies' which day by day we get more of as the popularity of this site expands.

johnny

Simsy 00:24 15 Apr 04

thje file is password protected.... oh and by the way, here's the password.

Bit of a clue there I suggest!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…