A new virus? My computer won't start.

Newuser3605 18:40 06 Jul 03

Hello, Just when Windows 98 is about to completely startup a box comes on stating:
Error starting Explorer.exe
You must reinstall windows.
followed by
The SHELL32.DLL file is linked
to missing export
SHLWAP.DLL:SHRegGetUSValueA
followed by a an OK box
which does not respond to the mouse or Enter key and won't go away.
Can anybody please help? Many thanks.
Albert
ps I tried reinstalling Windows but these same messages came up with 14 minutes remaining.

Gongoozler 18:54 06 Jul 03

Hi Albert. Visioneer admit to this possibly being a PaperPort problem. click here.

Newuser3605 19:43 06 Jul 03

Many thanks to you both. I checked on the Visioneer site and it sounds like the same problem. The trouble is that I cannot start my computer, even in Safe Mode to sort it out as the Error Box will not go away ie will not respond to the mouse or Enter key. Is there any solution?
I feel really stuck. Thanks again.

Jester2K II 19:47 06 Jul 03

Have you got a Boot Floppy (or can you get one) as you should be able to perform the operations with this if you can find out where the Paprport folder is....

Newuser3605 20:06 06 Jul 03

Dear Jester2K II

Thanks but I really don't have the expertise. Supposing I reinstalled Windows without saving the resistry files? Would that help? What's the worst that could happen? Thanks.
Albert

Jester2K II 21:04 06 Jul 03

You COULD try reinstalling over the top and see if that works. Not guarenteed though...

If someone here can tell you what the Paprport folder is then we couild get you up and running.

You need to boot using a boot floppy and then type

ren <path to Paprport Dir>SHLWAPI.DLL SHLWAPI.OLD

copy c:\windows\system\SHLWAPI.DLL <path to Paprport Dir>

Then remove the floppy and reboot....

Easier than reunstalling Windows and we only need to check the path to your Paprport which someone else might be able to tell us (unless you used non default paths).

Then its two steps and it might work....

Newuser3605 22:56 06 Jul 03

Dear Jester2K II
I am very grateful for all the time you have given in trying to help. I shall give the above a go and then get off to bed. It has been a really frustrating day. Thanks again.
Albert

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…