New VIrus?

OK Computer 13:47 05 Jun 03

I have a user who has received a email with an attachment - Mai sa.doc.exe

We are protected by norton anti virus live updates and there site does not mention it.

Does anyone know anything about this? It look very much like a virus to me...

Stuartli 13:53 05 Jun 03

Symantec has posted new antivirus definitions both yesterday and today - perhaps they were connected with your e-mail attachment?

OK Computer 13:56 05 Jun 03

No the latest defintions do not include any mention of Mai sa.doc.exe. This is being spread now, I have had to stop the internet mail service so its quite serious

Stuartli 13:57 05 Jun 03

Have a look here:

click here

It may be relevant.

DieSse 14:01 05 Jun 03

It does look like a virus - but the name of the file gives no clue as to which one. Did the AV program detect it - if so what did it say about the name of the virus - have you scanned it to see what NAV says?

DieSse 14:04 05 Jun 03

What does the actual email say (not the attachment!)

Stuartli 14:09 05 Jun 03

There are no reports of viruses with this name on the main websites either now or in the past; have you written it as seen?.

DieSse 14:10 05 Jun 03

PS - It's not unusual for the name of the attached infected file to be chosen at random, so in itself it doesn't give any clue as to the actual virus name.

OK Computer 14:24 05 Jun 03

OK,

No the AV did not detect it at all.

Two variations on the emails

One talks says the following:

subject:
Trouble Report 39160-s1c g000

email body:
Hi Tracey,

We have checked both warehouses and have been unable to trace the 60 pcs of
the above. Can you resupply urgently. Pls confirm

regards
sharon

second variation is:

subject:
re

message body:
Wheres the Dog?

Tracy

OK Computer 15:16 05 Jun 03

Just to let you know.

I have spoken to Symantec and it is a variant of the Bugbear virus - Bugbear.B. Beta definitions are available from the symantec ftp website.

Gaz 25 15:27 05 Jun 03

It is a warning, keep your anti-virus well up-to-date and block all e-mail containing attchments using Mailwaher from click here use the free edition it detects attchment viruses!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…