New Virus

leedsafc 11:16 11 May 06

Anyone heard of latest virus with attachment "INVITATION" Apparently it opens an Olypmic torch icon and burns all data from your HD. Nothing on symantec or AVG

gudgulf 11:20 11 May 06
  rawprawn 11:22 11 May 06

I got this warning this morning from a friend.

Do not open any message with an attached filed called
"Invitation"
regardless of who sent it
It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact! list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. !
If you receive a mail called "invitation," though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.
This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.
This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where thevital information is kept.

rawprawn 11:25 11 May 06

That solves that problem then!!

gudgulf 11:28 11 May 06

The virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday"

This is what McAfee have to say about that click here

And Google click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:23 11 May 06

It is a hoax....click here Irrespective of any scare stories there is no virus that will 'wipe a hard drive...utter rubbish. I can assure anyone that if they ever receive an email from a friend bearing tiding s of gloom and doom it WILL be q hoax.......It is alweays worthwhile doing a Google whenevr you receive one of these messages.

G

leedsafc 13:53 11 May 06

I thought it may be a hoax as my searches did not bring up any results Thanks all

squillary 15:57 11 May 06

It's a matter of opinion as to whether it's a hoax or not. After all, the information was spread in a manner much like a virus.

The message itself is the virus and this thread proves it has been spread successfully.

It's just the way I think...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos