New video card - but now no speaker sound

001dotty 20:15 18 Jan 09

Installed new video card (ATI Radeon HD 3600 series) today as old stopped giving picture but could get a picture off the mother baord output OK.

Now have video but speakers (green plug) from mother board no longer working so no sound (worked fine before new video card) . Only get the mother board beep on start up - no windows (running XP) greating or media sound etc.

Hardware shows 2 "function drivers for audio" - 1 ATI and one Microsoft (albiet this one has a yellow asterict next to it?)If I disable the ATI I get a code 10 on the other saying it cant operate. Should I delete the Windows one - disabling it has no effect?

Is the new video card blocking the mother board sound if so is there anything I can do to get sound back

Any help would be most welcome!

Stuartli 21:22 18 Jan 09

From Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, is your sound device nominated as the Default in the Audio and Video tabs?

It would also be well worth downloading and installing the latest Full version of the K-Lite Codecs from:

click here

001dotty 21:55 18 Jan 09

Thank you for the reponses

Beta - I guess I should have said but the viseo only feeds a monitor not a TV - In the control panel for the card I cant see anywhere to deselect HDMI??

Stuartli - Default comes up as "ATI HD Audio rear output" - on the back of the new video card are 2 no white outputs (one I gave connected to the DVI input on the monitor) and a round one - not one to plug the speakers in, so still connected to the green one on the back of the mother board.

I will try down loading the Codecs - do they need to be saved in any specific location??

Many THanks again for the help - very greatfully recieved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced