New user name at dial up and it's not me!

Mikeonfreeserve 06:55 09 Jul 05

Just recently when trying to connect using Wanadoo Anytime, the dial up box has ben cleared of my correct user name and the password box is blanked. I had left "remember my password" ticked, so I only had to click connect. Instead of my username there is the name "nix", nothing else. Hence, I have to fill in my details to connect.

Do you think I have a virus and is there a download fix for this please?

Diodorus Siculus 07:08 09 Jul 05

Go into dial up networking folder and create a new connection using your details.

ICF 07:10 09 Jul 05

Do you have any virus/firewall software installed?
If you have virus software make sure it is updated and do a scan.

Download this and update it then do a scan click here

Mikeonfreeserve 07:21 09 Jul 05

Thanks for the prompt replies and good morning!

I should have mentioned I'm currently on Windows 98 but due to upgrade to XP when I eventually get my Wanadoo broadband modem.

I think this means the Ewido scan and fix is not compatible.

I am between anti virus packages having had some bad experience with conflicts.

Taff36 07:32 09 Jul 05

Go to control panel then network connections and see how many dial up connections are there. If your original is ther and this new one delete the unwanted one. Check your details on your original by right clicking and properties. (Or as Dio says delete them both and set up a new connection.

If when you reboot the computer or whilst being on the internet for about half an hour this connection returns you have a rogue dialler or virus.

You must sort out anti-virus as a matter of urgency! Delete all your curent antivirus and download one of the free ones. AVG or Avast come recommended. You can only run one antivirus at a time to avoid conflicts. If you have ever had Norton on your system you need to download their removal tool and run that as well. (RNAV2003.exe I think - if it was NAV 2003 or prior. There is another tool for 2004 version.)

octal 07:34 09 Jul 05

While you are on dialup it might be worth installing an anti dialler when everthings up and running click here

961 09:22 09 Jul 05

You seem to have a rogue dialler which may be connecting at megabucks per min.

Set up a new connection to wanadoo and ensure you use that only each time you connect

Download spybot search and destroy and spywareblaster which are both free. Scan with these to find and remove your rogue dialler

Mikeonfreeserve 12:36 10 Jul 05

I ran Spybot and found and removed the rogue dialler,thanks.

Now I can't get into a dvd covers site. ot sure if it's my browser or whether it's being overhauled? Can anyone else get in?

click here

961 15:29 10 Jul 05

1 Good

2 Ensure you run spybot daily to ensure dialler does not return. If it does you may need to disable system restore and clean again

3 If spybot has prevented access to the site you name that may be the cause of your trouble

4 Check phone bill to see if you are in trouble and need to complain as a matter of urgency

ashdav 15:35 10 Jul 05

your link works ok using Firefox

CurlyWhirly 17:59 10 Jul 05

Your link works okay for me using IE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…