New User – help with Opera please

GroupFC 16:55 24 Feb 03

Hi, I am a new (and a complete novice!) computer user and have been following various threads here to learn as much as possible in the shortest amount of time (I know a massive undertaking!).

I have recently installed Opera (version 6.05), from a rival(!) computer mags. cover disc, as from various postings and articles I have seen this is supposed to be a fast browser with “added extras”. I say supposed to be as I can’t get past the starting line.

When I start Opera I get a message pop up saying “Couldn’t locate remote server”. I am on a dial up connection with Supanet.com and whenever I use IE6, which I have up until now, the dial up connection automatically pops up.

I assume I have to configure Opera in some way but does anybody know what I have to do?

Any advice/comments will be gratefully received.

GroupFC 17:42 24 Feb 03

Anybody got any helpful(!) suggestions, please

Cordy13 17:55 24 Feb 03

One way around it would be to open in IE then switch to Opera.

GroupFC 18:01 24 Feb 03

Yes, thanks for that. I have already thought of that one but it would be less hassle if I could just get Opera to open direct.

Anybody else?

-pops- 18:06 24 Feb 03

Do you have Opera as your default browser?

Brian

Cordy13 18:07 24 Feb 03

Hang on 'til VOG appears, think he may know how to configure it!

-pops- 18:08 24 Feb 03

BTW the current version of Opera is 7.01

Brian

platty100 18:09 24 Feb 03

could go to "control panel" "network connections" righ click on your conection in there, then click on "create a shortcut" will then put you one on the desktop .When you want to dial up click on your shortcut on the desktop. then when connected start opera (this is what i do)
also (NOT CERTAIN IF THIS WOULD WORK) if you go to file on opera then prefferances default browser put a tick in "check to see if opera is the default browser. then when you star it it will ask you if you want to make it the default browser

Pesala 18:11 24 Feb 03

Opera Forum: click here

GroupFC 18:12 24 Feb 03

No I don't but would that make a difference?

By the way, thanks for your help with my last question re AVG Adaware etc. Its all up running (together with Spywareblaster). Do you know anything about Spybot, such as what to get rid of?

-pops- 18:21 24 Feb 03

The latest version of Opera is better than previous ones but it's difficult to be precise as to in what way. It's free though so you may as well download it before you get too embedded in the early version.

With Spybot it gives colour coded ticks showing what is safe and what is not safe to delete. All is explained in the help files and it will backup anything it removes so that if you do select something you shouldn't, you can always get it back. If you're on Me or XP you can do a system restore if things go really up the shoot.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…