new trojan, can't run pc

smy13 14:10 26 Dec 05

Hi got collared by my father in law this morning, as he could not boot up his PC. I've managed to get into safe mode and systems restore will not solve the issue. I've re-entered safe mode and run a virus scan with Mcaffee and it's picked a trojan in two files C:\system Volume information\_restore{C7ED7FF-A3A4-40DE-A401-E5A286C4F62C}\RP33\A0040902.EXE
I can't clean, delete, or Quarantine the little nasties or contect to the net from said PC. can some one point me in the right direction of what to do next

cheers

Strawballs 14:24 26 Dec 05

Restore wont work because it looks like it is in the restore file I would download adaware and spybot search and destroy and put them on to disc from your machine and then install them from the disc and switch off system restore to rid it from there and when the system is clean switch it back on again.

Klof Ron 14:25 26 Dec 05

Download Stinger click here transfer to CD and run in the other pc. Turn off sytem restore before running it as it's most likely re-infecting from there.

EKY1 14:26 26 Dec 05

Hi smy13, The first thing you need to do is disable system restore and reboot, the trojan is stopping restore from working, dont forget to enable it again when you get rid of the virus,

smy13 14:26 26 Dec 05

tried Spybot to no avail Il'll give adaware a go
Cheers

smy13 14:33 26 Dec 05

the link to stinger does not work, is this the stinger tool from Mcafee or someone else

cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:36 26 Dec 05

You can only delete all the restore points, no tools will work in the restore points. Reset a restore point after you have deleted them.

G

Klof Ron 14:36 26 Dec 05

Sorry it worked when I tested it after posting. Yes it's the Singer from McAfee and at 1.27mb it will fit on a floppy. Good Luck.

smy13 14:39 26 Dec 05

cheers

i'll give all a go and get back to you

smy13 20:14 26 Dec 05

I've run Spybot, Adaware, a2, and stinger and pulled out 120 nasties ranging from data miners, key loggers and a couple of trojans (turning of System restore before Starting). however I still can't get it to boot, any other Ideas I've got a couple of days now as the father in law has gone away for the new year but more suggestions would be welcome

thanks for the help so far

smy13 23:31 26 Dec 05

/\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…