A new title for my DVD drive

Tycho 10:35 05 Mar 05

I am using W2k SP4 and I have recently fitted a DVD drive in addition to my CDRW. My CDRW is sensible labled "Compact Disc (F:)" but the new CDRW is labelled "Removable Disk (E:)"

Can I change it to "DVD (E:)". I have tried changing the disc properties but the label field is greyed out.

In hopes.

T

Tycho 10:54 05 Mar 05

Many thanks but I'm afeared of altering the registry. I maight just leave it as it is.

T

Fingees 11:16 05 Mar 05

Unfortunately I don't know about W2K, but with XP, I just right clicked on the icon in 'my computer', and selected change name.

I suppose it's not as easy as that with "2000

Tycho 11:46 05 Mar 05

I am afraid it is not as easy. There is no "Change name" or "Rename" on the context menu in W2k :-(

T

pj123 12:40 05 Mar 05

If you download PowerDesk 5 (free) from the PCA download page at: click here

Once installed, go to Tools, and select the option to Label Disk. You can then rename it.

I don't use Windows Explorer at all now as PowerDesk is far superior.

Tycho 20:52 13 Mar 05

I have only just managed to get back to tray out your advice for which I thank you.

I have installed Powerdesk and very good it looks too but it does not do what I wanted. All of the hard disc partitions are listed and available for relabeling but not the CDRW or the DVD drives. :-(

pj123 15:05 14 Mar 05

Sorry if that was duff info. I just tried mine again and although it doesn't list the DVDs as G: and H: it does list a "Removable Disk (I:)". Does yours not list a Removable Disk (E:)?

Tycho 19:02 14 Mar 05

My "My Computer" lists the following drives:
31/2" Floppy (A:)
LOcal Disk (C:)this is a partition on drive 0
Other Stuff (D:)this is a partition on drive 0
Removable Disc (E:) This is with a CD icon and is my DVD drive. I would like to rename this DVD.
Compact disc (F:)
New OS(G:) partition on drive 1
NewPrograms(H:)
New Our Documents (I:)
Control Panel
MObile DEvice
My Bluetooth Places

Does this help the analysis of the problem?

In hopes

T

pj123 14:03 16 Mar 05

Does W2k have DOS? If so, you could try booting to DOS and then changing to your E: drive and then type in "label"(without the quotes) and press enter. It should come up with the current name for E: and give you the option to change it. Type the new name you would like in and press enter. Then reboot.

TomJerry 16:58 16 Mar 05

Drive letter can be easily change, but drive label is not easy to change.

I found out that my dive label automatically change to correct label after I change drive letter when I had similar problem.

Change drive letter: "Contol Panle" "Administrtaive Tools" "Computer Management" "Drive Management", right click the drive (partition) you can to change.

If you have Partition Magic, it is very easy to do.

The BB 17:24 16 Mar 05

Tycho

When you 'fitted' your DVD, I assume you did it internally and to the IDE connector and not as a USB?

I run W2K SP4 etc. and DVD RW and CD drives come up as

icon Compact Disk (D:) Compact Disk

Will log in as Admin and have a play...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…