New System Processor advise for AMD

nar 11:56 17 Oct 05

Hi , im looking to build my second system and times have changed on the AMD lines. Could you tell me should i be aiming for a 939 or 754 pin proc and whats the difference.
Also whats the dif/better chip the usual AMD Athlon XP/64 or the new sempron chip they have brought out.
Yours views would be appreciated!!!!!

Many thanx

jack 12:31 17 Oct 05

Athlone is the 'premier' version Sempron being slight inferior grading in the chip world.

If you are going 64bit check your power supply, these new chips need a sperarate power connection
on the MoBo with a 4 pin 12v connector.
Best to but a Processor/Mobo bundle and a power supply to match from say
www,novatech.com for example

pj123 13:12 17 Oct 05

Or try click here

Give them a ring and they will advise you on your requirements.

vinnyT 13:24 17 Oct 05

939 is the current standard, this chip is only able to access ddr ram, so I have heard that sometime in the next year AMD are going back to 940 so as to enable support for ddr2. Does your head in, doesn't it?

If you're set on building now go the 939 64 (or even the x2, which will go in to a 939 mobo) route, as this will allow you to use the newer mobos (pci-e, sata11, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Rayuk 18:59 17 Oct 05

Socket 940 is also known as Socket M
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…