new speakers for computer

mco 20:41 05 Jun 04

Hi everyone - please could you give a simple answer to what I hope is a simple question (to a simple person!) Daughter's computer's speakers seem to have packed up , ie no sound coming out despite them being plugged in and the sound on on the pc. They're several years old and were cheap anyway so I don't mind buying new ones but my question is: is there anything complicated about buying speakers? Do they just plug in? Are there different connections that I need to be aware of? (Pc is 2 years old btw.) I only really want the most basic speakers I can get. I'm going off to Dixons/currys/pc world tomorrow. thanks.

stalion 20:44 05 Jun 04

speakers are standard connection on computers so you should be ok

Charence 21:33 05 Jun 04

For basic Stereo speakers, its normally just a simple standard connection. However, if you're planning to get a 5.1 surround sound system for PC they will have 6 sockets. 2 Left, 2 Right, 1 Centre and 1 Sub.

Charence

Pidder 22:34 05 Jun 04

My PC speakers (also cheapies) have a power (mains) connection as well as the line out from the PC. Are you sure its not just a bad mains connection? Do they have a "power on" indicator light?

mco 22:46 05 Jun 04

Pidder - hadn't thought of that but on reflection the only thing connecting them to pc is one line that branches off into each speaker. They don't have any lights on them - so maybe they are broken. Thanks all for help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…