New Soundcard for Evesham PC - Help Needed!

Elvenator 15:43 25 Mar 07

Hello All,

Being relatively un-technical I need a little help. I only had 2 of my 5 speakers working and so I spent 45 minute on the phone to Evesham support trying to fix it. The support engineer helped me to uninstall and re-install the sound and after the call it now no longer works as it appears there is a problem with the soundcard and that I need to get a new one. I wasn't informed of what kind of sound card that I was supposed to get but I emailed Evesham Tech support and this was their answer:

As with any electrical appliance, from time to time computers can go wrong. Unfortunately a very small percentage of components may experience physical failure and this is very difficult for us to prevent apart from only using quality tested components as we already do.

Having checked our records your computer does not have a separate soundcard. The soundcard is onboard (i.e. built into your mainboard) Therefore you will require a new mainboard. However it is advisable to take your computer to a local PC repair shop first to try and pin point the exact cause of the fault.

Should you wish to purchase a PCI soundcard then please click on the link below.

click here

I am a bit confused! Any ideas what I should do next? FYI my PC is 4 years old, Windows XP

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lindsey

malcolme 17:48 25 Mar 07

You do not require a new motherboard, just go to your local pc shop and buy a new pci soundcard, don't forget to tell them that you have got five speakers or you will only get the sound out of two.

skidzy 19:11 25 Mar 07

I doubt that your motherboard is up the creek.

Firstly run Belarc click here and look under multimedia for identification of the onboard sound....post back the details.

If you have a driver and utilities (motherboard) disc,run the audio setup from the disc.

If we can diagnose the onboard sound,we can try to find the driver,possibly a realtec driver.

Elvenator 20:44 26 Mar 07

Thank you malcome and Skidzy.
Skidzy, unfortunately, for some reason my pc will not let me download the Belarc software stating that my "current security settings willnot allow this file to be downloaded". God knows what I need to do to sort that out, but that is a whole other problem that I have been having.....

So I don't really know what to do next.

Malcome, it seems that most of these pci soundcards have 5 bits where you plug the speker wires into, but on the back of my pc i only have 3 bits, although I have 5 speakers and one bass box.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mole44 09:58 27 Mar 07

i to have an evesham pc where the sound used to disapear,i fixed it thus.you should have a disc with the drivers for the pc boardit will be named something like "Drivers & Utilities",put it into your pc and should get a chance to reinstall your system drivers,mine was labeled "NVIDIA Nforce system drivers" on the front splash screen,click in it and just go through the reinstall.sometimes programs get corrupted and the reinstall should sort that out

Elvenator 17:17 27 Mar 07

HI Mole,

I have tried this already with the Evesham support on the phone and it did not work. Since you have an Evesham PC is your soundcard set up the same as how I describe above?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac