New to sky bb

PhilDicky 09:12 20 Dec 07

Hi. Sorry to be a pain but I have just recieved my new bb package from Sky and was wondering if anyone can help me. I have the new sagem router and my activation date was yesterday (19th Dec) but I still can't connect to the net. I have tried to install from the cd but EVERY time I try to install from it, my P.C crashes. I know I don't really need the cd but my ethernet light (on the router)is amber and it won't pick up a wired connection. In my networks on my P.C, it is showing an 'unidentified network'.I'm not being impatient, but I can't seem to get any help off Sky themselves and I can only use the net at work (I have no internet at home at the moment) If anyone CAN help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Phil

Kemistri 10:27 20 Dec 07

If the Ethernet non-functioning, then the CD will not help! Not that they are very enlightening anyway. This problem is nothing to do with activation, and everything to do with an Ethernet fault or error somewhere in the chain.
[1] Try a different port
[2] Try a different cable
[3] Ensure that your firewall is running in a suitable mode that will not autoblock LAN connections, or unload it
[4] Test the status of the network adapter*

*Right-click on "My Computer" and enter its Properties palette; select the Hardware tab; open Device Manager; expand Network Adapters; double-click on the relevant entry.

smurfling 10:27 20 Dec 07

your best bet is to go to the Sky User
Support website, they have the answer to most things concerning BB conections, however I think you have to wait a couple of days after your activation date for BT to sort their end out.

Kemistri 10:42 20 Dec 07

Like I say, that is irrelevant to Ethernet issues. You do not need WAN access in a LAN - they are entirely independent.

PhilDicky 10:49 20 Dec 07

Thanks for the comments. I have tried my new ethernet cables (1 was from my 1st NEW Sky router that didnt work) and in different ports. No difference. Like I said, I CAN pick up a wireless n/w but it still won't let me connect. If Smurfling is right about BT, will it make any difference what I do today?

Kemistri 13:23 20 Dec 07

Naturally, because there is no WAN configuration in the router yet. That does not mean that the Sky ADSL service is not yet activated; it only means that the router is not yet configured.

Since you can get a wireless link, which is an unusual state for an unconfigured router, why not configure it over that wireless link? Obviously, you will almost certainly not be able to safely configure encryption that way, but at least you can set up the WAN connection.

Kemistri 13:25 20 Dec 07

By the way, just to point out that you didn't specify that there was an active wireless network in your first post.

PhilDicky 13:55 20 Dec 07

Yes I have got an active wireless network. Still can't understand why my ethernet light is still amber though.

Graham. 17:45 23 Dec 07

Check in Device Manager the ethernet card (may be under Network adapters) is enabled.

Kemistri 17:51 23 Dec 07

Phil has probably already checked that. See point #4 in my first post.

Phil - did you have any luck configuring the router over the WLAN connection? Can you reach its configuration menu?

dms05 21:06 23 Dec 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…