New site, comments please

cvcomposer 19:07 01 Dec 03

Hi,
On the 18 November I asked for comments on my web-site, click here and PurplePenny, Talented Monkey, barryoneoff.co.uk, Forum Editor, Taran & tomleady all replied stating their dislike. I took immediate action on that site, but it was said I should buy my own domain name.
This is now done, I've still a little tinkering to do, but wanted comments to see if I am heading in the right direction.
The address is click here

Thanks

Pesala 21:07 01 Dec 03

Buttons on the sidebar jump up and down quite a bit. Copy and paste the same bar to every page and make sure it is in the top left corner.

Not sure about "We shall design a document ..." on the CV page. Shouldn't it be "We will design a document ..."

Otherwise no obvious problems.

cvcomposer 08:19 02 Dec 03

Thanks for that, Pesala.

Anyone else, more comments welcome.

Nick

The GnoMe 12:30 02 Dec 03

here is what your home page looks like in Mozilla firebird

click here

as you can see there is some overlapping.

Not everyone usesa internet explorer

all your text on the c.v's page is in bold and the rest of the site is not. This is inconsitant with the rest of it, why not just have your headers in bold.

Why not do something more with your title PROFFICE.CO.UK written in white and underlined is not very proffessional and even with a cheap graphics program you could make it look so much more inviting.

You also have no meta tags on your site.

click here

these are very important

other than those points i think you have the potential to make a bit of money but you do need to sort some of the issues out.

good luck

IClaudio 18:08 02 Dec 03

The navigation buttons are in a completely different order to the accompanying text, and I hate the Times Roman font (tho' it may work for others...),

What's the point of the randomly-changing graphics? And, as The GnoMe said, you should be a bit more creative with your logo.

On the CV page, I'm not sure (thinking as a prospective client) what I'm supposed to do... if I supply you with all the info as requested, why not should I not just compose the CV myself (I already have done!)and save some money. You do charge, don't you, you don't mention rates anywhere, I think.

As for the 'Database' section, this doesn't make any sense to me, business-wise or English-wise, sorry!

Same for the Spreadsheet section - what exactly are you offering here? And why does the phrase 'No obligation, fully functional and very practical' lead to an e-mail form?

The new site is very much better than the first, but I think you need to ask yourself what you're trying to achieve. I've been struggling with Excel for a few weeks and would love to see a really useful resource site to help me get the most from Excel - for example, a few weeks ago, I wanted to print the formulae in each cell of a sheet, never did manage to find out how to do it! From offering well-designed advice, you could then go on to offer your services for 'bespoke' spreadsheet solutions for those of us who are simply too busy to compose our own.

Good luck with it!

PurplePenny 20:25 02 Dec 03

The blue lower bar crosses the text twice in Opera.

Much better than the first one but it does still need a bit of work.

Penny

cvcomposer 20:37 02 Dec 03

Thanks to you all,
Will take your comments on-board.
The GnoMe, yes still to do the meta tags, but not forgotten.
IClaudio, didn't think I'd used the times roman font so will look at that, still to elaborate a little on the wording.
Excel print formulas, go Tools/Options/View tab, see Window options, check the Formulas box, then print away.

Yes I do charge, but that is FOC. :)

Nick

IClaudio 23:19 02 Dec 03

rofl... thanks for the free advice! Obvious isn't it, once you know?

As for the navigation - I think you've made more work for yourself here, by positioning the 'buttons' over your 'bybutton' graphic. This means that the position of the lettering is slightly different on each page. Try knocking up a graphic for the entire navigation bar, and using that on every page. As well as the look of each page being the same, you then only have to change one graphic if you decide to add another section.

And talking of 'knocking up' graphics, you really need to address your company logo, you can't do it in HTML! (well, you have, but you know what I mean)

Thanks again for the print advice...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…